Old Sportex hollowglas rods...

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Grubenreiner

Old Sportex hollowglas rods...

Post by Grubenreiner »

Hello there :Hat: ,

what a coincidence, me just getting into old tackle and especially glasfibre rods, and a good friend of mine just discoveriung two old Sportex Hollow Glas rods in the depths of his man cave.

I dont know the excact model by now, 11ft. 20-60gr. CW, yellow blank with rings with linners (No hardchrome).

So id thought id ask now if any of you knows anything about old Sportex rods in general and later this day when i actually get them ill post the Model and some pics on here to make it more specific....

Btw. Im gonna take em anyway as he´s almost giving them away and if nothinh else theyll make a decent pair of knockabout-and-clean-the-nettles-away-rods :Wink: .

Thanks,
Axel

Grubenreiner

Re: Old Sportex hollowglas rods...

Post by Grubenreiner »

OK, theyre here.

Nothing special it seems and rather a cheap rod in its days already.

Sportex Economic 11ft. 1 3/4lbs
Made in West Germany

Lot of plasticparts (reelseat, original line clip, Buttcap) but apart from a little dirt its good condition and i think fpr a 10er i didnt do to bad.

I actually like the Testcurve, very soft with lots of Power in the lower section.

Will try em as swingtip rods for Carp, otherwise as said theyll become my new Eel rods.

But if anyone had some inof on them i would be very thankfull.

Regards, Axel

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Sportex were held in quite high regard over here, so while it may be economic, it's unlikely to be "cheap" as in "cheap and nasty".

It looks just the job for anywhere requiring big sliding floats to be cast a long way... are there any biggish bream near you?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

No, no good bream waters round here :( mostly skimmers where i fish. But as said theyre gotta proof their worth with carp to 10lbs when the stillwaters thaw finally...

Ive found out by now that the rods are from the early 80s. The line clips arent original but fit nicely with the reelseat.
And the Rings are the Fuji glowinthedark ones wich were used also by Hardy in that time.

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

Hi Axel, Oliver's of Knebworth used Sportex glass blanks (honey colour) for some of their hand built rods from the sixty'sright through to when he retired, I have two, one old the other more recent, Ted Oliver rated them highly and would only build on the best, in fact if you want a quality Sportex glass blank Ted is selling his old stock off on eBay at the moment.

BarbelBonce

Post by BarbelBonce »

O K, Axel, I give up!
I've tried and I've tried and....I have spent far too long with my 2,051 page Collins German/English, English/German Dictionary, I have asked my neighbour Sabrina and another German neighbour, who's name escapes me presently and I've just finished speaking to my newest best friend, Dagmar in Essen.
None of them can tell me what Grubenreiner means! Dagmar asked if it might be a North Bavarian colloquialism?
Help! I think we should be told!
Mike

What has a pit/mine/etc (gruben) got to do with angling!?

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

BarbelBonce wrote:O K, Axel, I give up!
I've tried and I've tried and....I have spent far too long with my 2,051 page Collins German/English, English/German Dictionary, I have asked my neighbour Sabrina and another German neighbour, who's name escapes me presently and I've just finished speaking to my newest best friend, Dagmar in Essen.
None of them can tell me what Grubenreiner means! Dagmar asked if it might be a North Bavarian colloquialism?
Help! I think we should be told!
Mike

What has a pit/mine/etc (gruben) got to do with angling!?

:Hahaha:

Sorry, but youre completely on the wrong track there...
Its just the letters of my Name (Axel Reingruber) put in a different order.

Taprobanes

Post by Taprobanes »

A nice anagram Axel, I wonder are there anymore on TFF?

Grubenreiner

Post by Grubenreiner »

Oh, and concerning the rods:

Im very happy with them. Soft through action but loads of power in the lower sections.
I made them two swingtips and fished them like that but also tried em for margin float work with the pin and both work very good.

Please excuse the ugly new reels, still waiting on my Shakespeare Ambidex...

BarbelBonce

Post by BarbelBonce »

Taprobanes wrote:A nice anagram Axel, I wonder are there anymore on TFF?
....anagram....?!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”