Tookes special12'

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Tookes special12'

Post by NiceRoach »

BigFish wrote:Had a punt on ebay and accidently won a Tookes 12' Special, split cane rod. Does anyone know anything about this make and model? If I keep winning on ebay I will be seriously thinking about selling all my carbon!!!

I down to three carbon, from double figures :Thumb:
niceroach

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've still got all my carbon, they're a keep sake full of memories of big fish. Most of my carbon rods are from the early nineties, so in a few more years they'll be vintage!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I remmeber the shop . It was there in the early 1980s . I know that area well. With the exception of the Thames, I cannot think of any freshwater fishing in that area at all. So all anglers would have been travelling out on coaches, match fishing and the like. All gone now. A fascinating peice of our history.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I was just catching up on an old post....
Got a reel case from Tookes...
Not that old as they go but another shop gone.
Sounds like a nice rod.
Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have a Tookes carp rod from Ted, it is a gorgeous bit of cane. I reckon they got those from a chap also called Ted in Knebworth.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:48 pm I have a Tookes carp rod from Ted, it is a gorgeous bit of cane. I reckon they got those from a chap also called Ted in Knebworth.
Phew! For a minute there i though you were going to posit a military gent from a certain London Borough!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The up date on this rod is the tip section was badly delaminated, so I combined the butt and middle section with the tip section of an unnamed spinning rod, to make a 10" Avon style rod very similar to a Chapmans 500/550. The result was a great rod with a lovely all through action that I've caught many fish with.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Santiago wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 am I've still got all my carbon, they're a keep sake full of memories of big fish. Most of my carbon rods are from the early nineties, so in a few more years they'll be vintage!
One of the very few positives in getting older.
You awake one morning, and find that your much loved fishing tackle is now classed as vintage! :Chuckle:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”