What a treat !

This forum belongs to Harvey D. Torbett.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

What a treat !

Post by AshbyCut »

Although I haven't fished in the briny deep since my teens, I added this to my collection of the books of Mr. Torbett to complete the set :-

The seller did state that there was a 'dedication inscribed by the author,' which made the £5.25 asking price unmissable.

Imagine my utter delight when it arrived this morning and I discovered that the dedication was not only there ... but that Mr. Torbett had given it personally to Bill Howes, his lifelong friend, angling companion, author in his own right, photographer (many of his photographs grace Harvey's books, including this one), and biologist.

Dated in his own hand 1964 I believe, therefore, that this must have been one of the very first copies off the press and given to the author for his own use.

To have this ... knowing it belonged to both Gentlemen ... is very special to me. Perhaps the best £5.25p I've ever spent.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hannay
Perch

Re: What a treat !

Post by Hannay »

That certainly is a treat. I bet you're a very happy man. Fantastic...

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great news for you! I have three of his books in the post, if any of them be signed by the author they're yours Ashby; for a small price of course!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Great
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Ashby I have a copy of 'Fishing with Float and Fly' by William Child. The illustrations are by a chap called David Carl Forbes, and the photos were taken by Bill Howes!! Perhaps there is one of Mr Torbett in there. Said book was published in 1966! Do you know anything about William Child? He's probably one of Mr Torbett's peers! I will examine this book a tad more!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

And a signed copy too, very nice AC.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

BigFish wrote:Ashby I have a copy of 'Fishing with Float and Fly' by William Child.!
Don't know anything of William Child, Sir ... yet !!! I shall have to look out for a copy.

I know that Bill did photographs for quite a few books, including his own, of course. ... as well as many for Harvey Torbett's.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

That's a more than a result AC. Imagine the chances. Well done....
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Very happy for you Mr B
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Just about as good as it gets Mal! Well done!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Harvey D. Torbett”