Speechless !!!

This forum belongs to Harvey D. Torbett.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Speechless !!!

Post by AshbyCut »

I apologise for the tardiness of this post ... but I've been a tad 'under the weather' for a few weeks ... and thanks to those who have enquired after me in PM's/emails etc.

A short while ago I was humbled to receive a parcel in the post from the children of Harvey Torbett. They had collectively decided that it would be appropriate for me to become custodian of a few books which actually belonged to The Man Himself ... and sent me a small collection of 6 volumes which he owned.

6 are penned by his life long friend and angling partner Bill Howes (3 inscribed to Harvey by the author) ... and one by Len Cacutt (similarly inscribed).

An example of the inscriptions ...

The list is as follows ......

a) 1962 1st edition hardback of "Spinning for Coarse, Game and sea Fish." William J. Howes. Inscribed to Harvey, who wrote the foreward.
b) 1964 1st edition hardback of "Freshwater Fishing Baits." William J. Howes. Inscribed to Harvey.
c) 1959 1st edition of "Fly-Fishing for Coarse Fish." William J. Howes. Inscribed to Harvey. One of the "How to Catch Them" series.
d) 1965 1st edition of "Match Fishing." W. H. Howes. A paperback, but read so often it has been rebound by Harvey himself as a hard-back. I have since been able to trace an original copy of the paperback ... signed by Bill Howes at the National Show, 1965.
e) 1978 soft cover reprint of "Fishing for Londoners." (Origin edition 1955.) Edited by Bill Howes. Stamped with Harvey Torbett's name and address. Read so often it has been rebound by Harvey himself as a hard-back. I have since been able to trace an original copy of the paperback from the same year.
f) 1967 1st edition soft cover of "English Reservoirs." Bill Howes. Not inscribed by the author, but signed by Harvey Torbett.
g) 1974 1st hardback edition of "The Angling Club Handbook." Len Cacutt. Inscribed 'To Harvey. Len Cacutt.'

In the great scheme of things these probably have little intrinsic monetary value ... but to me, they are priceless.

My deepest thanks to the family for allowing them to rest with me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Michael
Tench

Re: Speechless !!!

Post by Michael »

What a truly wonderful gesture by the family Mal...

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Where marvelous collection and you are the right custodian.
Hopefully you are feeling better now .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I knew Bill Howes and the angler on the front of English Reservoirs, Ray Mumford. I had the pleasure of appearing in several articles written and photographed by Bill.

A nice collection.

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

I got the Reservoir and Londoners books too.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Wonderful - I love books, I really love angling books... and those are fabulous!

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

The softback pamphlets are quite a good inexpensive way of buying a bit of nostalgia.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

How lovely to be thought of in that way and entrusted with such personal items by the family. I would feel so proud but humble to be thought of in that way, absolutely brilliant. :Hat:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

They know a good custodian!
Something to bet treasured Mal.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

What an honour, you must feel extremely proud Mal.

So when does your museum open?

Return to “Harvey D. Torbett”