Making the TFF Aerial

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Making the TFF Aerial

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 am You'd think he'd been doing it all his life, wouldn't you?
The thing that I find most extraordinary is what creative talent has emerged from someone that had no background in engineering! From rebuilding an old Myford lathe recovered from a skip, Watermole + has produced a number of centre pin creations that defy description. We are truly lucky to have such a talent within the TFF! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

He does have a 'sort of' engineering background in that he worked with engineers but he was personally more involved with polishing he told me.

Not only did he save that old lathe but he invented and built accessories for it that are better than the original makers ones ... most noticeably a converted gearbox that lets him select how many holes he wants to drill in a spool rim, for example and the gearbox thingy centres them all perfectly. To him it was an obvious design...to me it is thinking 'outside the box'. Just like the powered drives that let him use the lathe as a mill.

The TFF Aerial was possibly only his third reel ever...might even be the second!
Last edited by Nobby on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Even more remarkable!

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Liphook wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 pmHas he not?
I'm sure he has, it was said "Tongue in cheek". :Hahaha:

I had the pleasure of fishing with Bob Brooks a couple of weeks back and he was using his "BB reel" made by Leszek (Watermole) and it's a fantastic work of art and piece of engineering. Even nicer in the flesh, so to speak.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I've just looked again through those links that Nobby so kindly posted. I'm blown away by the craftsmanship of Mr L D Delaq. It's eye candy to me. I only wish I could afford a comission. His work is absolutely sublime. Well done on all of it Leszek. Your memory will live on through the hands and eyes of many an angler or those lucky enough to have placed a comission with you.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”