Another day ,Another speedia

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Banksy
Brown Trout

Re: Another day ,Another speedia

Post by Banksy »

Banksy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 am I too had a Speedia with a poorly foot.
Leszek kindly made it a new brass foot from scratch, removed the broken handle and fitted the new one.

It transformed a barely useable reel into a thing of beauty, in my eyes. :Hat:

And a 3D-printed arbor, courtesy of Strathamender, just added the icing on the cake!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Sorry, double-posted! :Confused:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

looks great and the bonus with it being a modern style foot it'll fit c***on rods as well as traditional ones and fit in winch fittings better ... :Thumb:
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

I've added one of my line guards ,as a rule I don't like line guards because they are usually in the wrong place ,and interfere with wally casting and batting the drum ,both of which i'm prone to doing as I fish , many years ago I devised a wally friendly guard position (theres probably a post on here someware about that ,or might of been pbtw) that doesn't interfere either casting or batting the drum and still prevents line going over the back in windy conditions ,just needed the right fittings to put into action.

well i'm still trying to improve the attachment of my guards (99% sorted) ,they ok as are ,just fine tunning the parts used.just investigating better screws.

had to place a order for some 3mm copper piping ,from a ebay seller in hong kong so took a while to arrive (though in the meantime I made a prototype out of a knitting needle on a different speedia first ,it has a worn bushing so had become my new test reel ,after this one improved so much) .

my guards are based on bickerdyke frames but not attached to the backplate .I don't like holes in the backs .so I devised a method to fix them too the rim ,and should it ever be removed (well the brackets as the guard is removable as it just slots into the brackets ,they are screwed too the rim ).the holes can be easily filled and disguised,i used a old bickerdyke guard as template for the shape / style.

fitted knitting needle grey prototype guard frame

the brackets are easily camouflaged with magic marker...

altered a thing or two and improved the fixing ,but feel further improvement can be had with better screws (probably just a mute point really) .but for now they're ok .So went ahead and did this one too but with the copper pipe when it arrived from hong kong!

new guard

I'm still fine tuning the fixing but when ,i'm done (got too try some new screws before i'm completely happy sharing) i'll post a how-2 ,in the appropriate section .

Another update I've done is devise a ratchet tension adjuster ,I had a good idea/plan but then had a eureka moment ,and boom had a better one .but can't share just yet .theres something I need to do first .

the reel is now complete (barring a proper strip n polish) I now have a line up of 4 speedia's (all have the lineguards in copper&brass) to use as my main user reels ,two mk4 narrow spooled (1 black ,1 silver) & 2 wide spooled ones a mk4 & mk3 again one black ,one silver.just got to work out thier roles .I've either decided the black ones are for modern rods (glass or c*rbon) & silver on vintage cane rods ,narrow for small streams as its generally short trotting and the wide spools for bigger rivers where i'll be long trotting and need the better line lay.

or its going too be the silver ones for ledgering with adjusters fitted and black ones for trotting ,i'll figure it out.hopefully before the new river season.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”