Cleaning xylonite?

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Damflask
Grayling

Cleaning xylonite?

Post by Damflask »

What's the best way to do this, especially if it is crazed?

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Cleaning xylonite?

Post by Watermole+ »

Real xylonite is a kind of ivory coloured celluloid once used for making many other decorative things and trinket boxes, besides reel handles.

Surface ‘crazing’ is usually the result of the exposed material drying out and cracking over a period of time, becoming noticeable when the surface cracks become ingrained with dirt from being continually rubbed with the fingers..usually going a dirty, greenish colour.

The older the material, the more brittle and fragile it is likely to be. You are probably referring to reel handles and I would suggest that perhaps a gentle scrub with washing up liquid and an old, stiff toothbrush might remove some of the surface dirt, but would not advise that you try any solvent of any kind. Old thermosetting plastics can be rather unpredictable!

If the material has started to chip in places, it is probably starting to break down so just leave it as it is.
I do have some new sticks of the genuine article which have been stored away from light so as a last resort it would be possible to make replacements in case of disaster..

Sorry I cannot offer more positive advice..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Damflask
Grayling

Re: Cleaning xylonite?

Post by Damflask »

That's very comprehensive and very useful advice!
Toothbrush and Fairy Liquid it is then.
Thanks very much WM .

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”