Fields of Highgate London

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Danesman
Silver Bream

Fields of Highgate London

Post by Danesman »

Morning All

Does anybody know anything about Fields Fishing Tackle from Highgate in London particularly a 12' float rod called a Rover De Lux ?

Any infomation would be greatly appreciated as I am considering this as a future restoration project

Cheers
Pete

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Fields of Highgate London

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I do know they retailed a lot of Edgar Sealey rods so it is probably a Sealey Rover.

Wal.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Its not listed in the 1948-9 catalogue - not sure that helps you much other than perhaps narrow down its age? :Hat: Les
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

An Edgar Sealey leaflet for the 'Octopus' rod range for 1958 includes a Rover at 11ft., fitted with a "Green anodised Autolock Fitting."

The 12ft. rods available that year were the "Supreme," the "Match," and the newly released "Floatcaster De Luxe" which had a whole cane butt and built cane centre and tip.

A 12ft. "Rover De Luxe" may have been replaced by another model before this year ... maybe the "Floatcaster De Luxe" ... which carried on into the 1960's, though by the 'Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment 1964 Price List' it was entirely hollow glass. Interestingly, it was modified again by the 'Sealey Fishing Manual 1967' to have a split cane butt and hollow glass centre and tip sections. It was no longer listed by the 1968 manual.

The "Rover" was no longer listed by the 1964 price list.

I hope that helps.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

These rods appear to be very collectable as the sale price went far beyond my expection. I was reluctant to continue bidding as I was not sure if it was actually worth the money. Al part of the learning curve regarding cane rods lol. I find the history and stories that go with the different builders fascinating.
Thanks to all who replied
Pete

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Danesman just as an aside, further bits on Fields will be found if you put 'Fields Kohn' into the search. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”