Mitchel 304 screws

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Mitchel 304 screws

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hello Chaps
I got myself a lovely little 304 about 3 years ago and have finally got around to restoring/servicing .
The reel itself is delightfully simple , a bit like me, so , and the only problem I had was removing the completely seized side plate screws which involved destroying them unfortunately. I did try various oils and other arcane methods but they were most stubborn and in the end removal was with a screw-out and drill.
I need to know what screws to use to replace them, my micro meter hovers around 0.249 inches so a quarter inch but bsf or bsw?
I know stock replacements are available on the webby but are ridiculously expensive.
Your learned help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Jeremy

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Mitchel 304 screws

Post by Catfish.017 »

I think they are more likely to be BA threads. I will have a look at mine later and check in my little drilling and tapping handbook.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Of course they could be Metric too?

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Took a micrometer to a screw out of my 304. .097" or 2.5 mm near as damnit. With the reels being French originally I would guess it's M2.5 coarse pitch. If it is imperial it will be 7BA or No 3 unified coarse (UNC)

Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Thanks Mr.Catfish just what the reel doctor ordered.
Now all I need to do is find a supplier or order the set I found on Ebay which would cost about £9 all in which is half what the reel cost - hohum.
I am surprised at how well the reel functioned including the drag for such a simple piece of engineering, mind you it does sound a bit like herd of mad bees are inside it on fast retriev
Thanks again
Jeremy

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

For a couple of pounds more you may find a spares or repair example with the obvious benefit of additional spares, particularly the plastic oscillator which is prone to failure.

Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hello again Mr.Catfish do you reckon these would be suitable ?

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/BR ... _M2.5.html

BTW don't think my reel has a plastic oscillator it appears to bee all metal inside what view parts there are.
Again thanks I never new screws were so complicated :hairpull:

Regards Jeremy

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”