Allcocks Fettling.

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Silfield
Brown Trout

Allcocks Fettling.

Post by Silfield »

With the garden looking good, if not a little rustic, and the seeds growing I was scratching around for a bit of a job and decided that a few hours fettling a rather sad C815 was in order.
The reel had a few issues including having being dropped onto an unforgiving surface (more than once I suspect), leaving it with a wobble and an alarming scrape, rendering its spinning ability to half a revolution! On top of this there were dents to the back plate rim and the spool.
The other problem is that the original ratchet handle was missing and a rather crude but functional bit of squashed and bent brass tube had been soldered onto the original hexagon stub which, over the years had worn away the pimples on the back plate casting through its many operations (and after maybe being dropped again, bending the brass tube handle!)
Having now firmly taken over the kitchen table and a few rudimentary tools strategically dumped before me I set about the list of issues.
Without rambling on, the reel was spinning again within a couple of hours and the wobble was reduced down to a level that was hardly noticeable. I was a bit stumped as I was expecting to be fiddling for hours and had rectified the majority of the issues that the reel had, except the ratchet handle which I didn't have the confidence to undertake and hadn't a clue how to.
Boyed by a tea break in the wilder end of the garden and the success of the morning got me thinking of the missing handle and how I could attempt to make a suitable replacement, knowing that I had some scraps of brass in the shed a rummage was in order. After a good search all I could find was a brass ring 2 1/2" od x 3/16" thick which would have to do. After a couple of measurements, a couple of quick sketches and another cuppa I set about the brass ring to cut out a piece to work on. Using one of the existing fixing holes as the centre point of the hexagon that would need to be formed in the new handle I started filing....

“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Allcocks Fettling.

Post by Pallenpool »

Silfield wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 pm With the garden looking good, if not a little rustic, and the seeds
Ian, that is a fine job - the ratchet lever looks - well ornate - and is certainly distinctive - is the reel still running well and do you have a complete arbor?

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Hello Peter,
The home made lever has been 'toned down' a bit as it was a bit garish for my liking! Still running well but to be honest it hasn't had an outing yet and sits on the shelf waiting for cork and line, both of which I have, motivation on the other hand is rather lacking.
I was hoping to get out yesterday with its slighlty better looking twin but domestic duties put pay to that!
The quest for a chub will have to wait a bit longer.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Super job, pleased the 518 still has momentum - even if the owner is at the moment still searching for it - I am sure you will be out and about on the bank in no time - sometimes the best laid plans are an absolute shambles - it will be done in an instant that window of opportunity- and certainly the Chub will not mind when you turn up - tight lines when you do go. Please let me know how you get on with that arbor - I take it your are talking about the layered strips - and not the deep arbor?

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”