A Hodder Reborn

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: A Hodder Reborn

Post by Dave Burr »

Silfield wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:52 pm A lovely job from the master and looks to be a very well engineered reel from inception.
Must admit I had never heard of them until this thread.
The Hodder is a very basic, rugged and practical reel built in the 1930's apparently. I am led to believe that they were made from the excess materials in a factory that produced tanks for the army . If you never handle one Silfield, you may feel like me, that they actually made tanks out of the left overs from the reel production :Chuckle:

I bought mine for a mere £60 at an auction and later added the 3" version. They have heavy spools and cast well, the ratchet is as loud as a fog horn. Despite owning a couple of quite special pins, I still reach for the Hodders as they exude character. :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

What a great restoration. A lovely looking reel.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Silfield wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:52 pm A lovely job from the master and looks to be a very well engineered reel from inception.
As your good self Silfield I had never heard of this maker until I saw this post. I do however, anticipate that should I come across one then the reserve cash fund may take a serious hit.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Fantastic, what a lovely looking reel, Keith.
...and Leszek, superb craftsmanship yet again!
Russ

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:35 am
As your good self Silfield I had never heard of this maker until I saw this post. I do however, anticipate that should I come across one then the reserve cash fund may take a serious hit.
There’s one on that auction site - excellent price at the moment - would need a new retaining nut for aesthetic reasons.
Here’s an earlier thread that would be of interest.
viewtopic.php?t=13260
They are a great reel - especially the 4”
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:40 am
There’s one on that auction site - excellent price at the moment - would need a new retaining nut for aesthetic reasons.
viewtopic.php?t=13260
Thanks Peter for the tip off. I do not frequent the auction site that you refer to. I have occasionally purchased from there via help from friends on here BUT I have always gone to actually see the item before handing over any money and therefore collected at the same time. My Harvey Torbett rod came from one of those friends looking out for one as did the Hardy Triumph reel. Not perhaps the most efficient way of sourcing items but it does work for me at least.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:49 am
Pallenpool wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:40 am
viewtopic.php?t=13260
Thanks Peter for the tip off. I do not frequent the auction site that you refer to. I have occasionally purchased from there via help from friends on here BUT I have always gone to actually see the item before handing over any money and therefore collected at the same time. My Harvey Torbett rod came from one of those friends looking out for one as did the Hardy Triumph reel. Not perhaps the most efficient way of sourcing items but it does work for me at least.
When the tackle fairs start up again Keith, I'm sure you'll find a couple to look at. Maybe.... one day.....

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”