Hardy "Triumph" 3 1/4 inch

The Hardy Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy "Triumph" 3 1/4 inch

Post by AshbyCut »

Just arrived this morning is my early Christmas present to myself ... a really charming little reel that I wish I'd experienced before.

Introduced in 1936 "to preserve Hardy quality in design, material and manufacture and at the same time produce a reel at the following attractive price," it was designated as a 3 1/4 inch reel, available in 2 widths ... 1/2 inch and 11/16 inch ... both selling at 21/- (£1.05 in today's money). It was supplemented with a 4 inch version in 1937 ... both versions being listed until they were dropped at the end of 1951 ... the year I was born. The foot and the backplate are a single casting.

The version I have become custodian of is the 3 /14 inch (the diameter of the backplate ... the drum is actually 3 inches in diameter), with 1/2 an inch between the drum plates. The drum itself measures 2.58 inches.Originally fitted with a line guard designed for right hand winding ... this one has had it removed at some point in it's history, which is fine for my left handed wind.

It weighs in at a featherlight 3 3/4 ounces (106 grammes).

ImageImage
ImageImage
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hardy "Triumph" 3 1/4 inch

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Well done AC - I have and use a narrow drum Hardy Triumph 3 1/4 inch reel with an Allcocks Wallis Wizard which makes a splendid combination of rod and reel. My reel has retained the line guard admittedly for right hand wind but I still use the reel for left hand wind and it is OK. I was told that Wallis also designed the Hardy Triumph reel although I do not know how true that is but it felt right to use a rod and reel designed by the same person.
The reel has the most charming sounding ratchet - more like a purr of contentment.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Update ... the initials inside this reel shows it was made by Wilf Sinton, who worked for the company from 1929 to 1939 ... proving this to be genuine pre WW2.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I have a rhw 4" ( from the position of the line guard).
The drum retaining nut is removed clockwise since the thread is a reverse thread.

Return to “Hardy Reels”