Altex no2 MkV

The Hardy Reels forum.
Dipper
Rudd

Altex no2 MkV

Post by Dipper »

I’m still somewhat in shock after recently receiving this reel, being a tad thrifty, and the often hefty prices it can demand I honestly never thought it would be a reel I’d own.

Needless to say it came from that auction site that will not be named, fortunately for me(probably not the seller) the listing was misspelled a therefore didn’t show up in a search including “Altex”, nice to know there’s still the odd bargain to be had :whistle:

The bail needed a little adjusting and the whole thing needed a good clean but after a little fettling, cleaning and polishing I think I’ve fallen under its spell, so far it’s only wearing some backing and awaiting some line, hopefully I’ll get out to try and christen it in the next week...

Regards,

Dipper
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Re: Altex no2 MkV

Post by Dom Andrew »

That's a great find. The Altex looks in very good condition.

Dom. :Hat:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Personally I think the Altex is the ultimate fixed spool - the clutch is second to none and a joy - the build quality inside and out is unmatched - They are the only spooled reels I would never part with. Looks like you will now fall under its spell - well done on what reads & looks a super find.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I love my Altex... Tengisgol borrowed mine and ended up looking for one as well... they are a superb reel...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Evening Dipper,
Can't beat a good Altex. Top tip to get that side plate off and some oil down the worm gear and into the bearings!
Regards Cat

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Dom Andrew wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:57 am That's a great find. The Altex looks in very good condition.

Dom. :Hat:
Other than the 2 oiling scratches visible in the picture there’s just one more where careless use of a screwdriver has slipped off a screw and marked the paint, and that’s it really. I must admit I feel almost guilty looking at the condition of others going for a lot more money, maybe I should buy a lotto ticket!...

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Pallenpool wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:28 am Personally I think the Altex is the ultimate fixed spool - the clutch is second to none and a joy - the build quality inside and out is unmatched - They are the only spooled reels I would never part with. Looks like you will now fall under its spell - well done on what reads & looks a super find.
:Hat:
I don’t use a fixed spool that often but on the occasion I do I have a couple of Mitchell’s or Delmatic’s I turn to, as you say with the engineering going into the Altex there really is no comparison, that clutch is a wonder to behold, I can’t wait to experience a rush of a good fish with it.

Regards,

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Aitch wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:28 pm I love my Altex... Tengisgol borrowed mine and ended up looking for one as well... they are a superb reel...
I can now understand why, it’s a lovely thing, one of those rare items where the function, size, balance and of course looks all just seem to be perfect...

Regards,

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Cat wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:10 pm Evening Dipper,
Can't beat a good Altex. Top tip to get that side plate off and some oil down the worm gear and into the bearings!
Regards Cat
One of the first things I did :Wink: As soon as I knew it was on its way to me I read everything I could find!

Regards,

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

I should probably add that the rear plate has no numbers on it and that the initials under the spool indicate that Robert Marshall Scott was the maker.

Is there a way to date it without the rear plate numbers? It’s not clear in the picture but under the folding handle is the anti reverse button, also the bail is spring not gear driven?

Any info gratefully received

Regards,

Return to “Hardy Reels”