Hardy Match Fisher's Reel Too

The Hardy Reels forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Hardy Match Fisher's Reel Too

Post by Paul F »

I am a big fan of the quality of Hardy coarse fishing tackle, some of the reels are so simple yet so practical, the Wallis Avon No1 reel is a fine example in case.

Since collecting one reel has been on my hit list, the Hardy Match Fisher's reel, but rarity kept the price high and out of reach, until the last couple of years a Match Fishers reel would cost you £1200.

How times have changed, and when my friend Allrounder found one at a good price, I thought it was time to scour the market and see if I can find my own reel.

It is an early Christmas present from my dog Dave, he knew it was a reel I wanted to have and was happy to oblige with the pennies from his piggy bank.

These reels were only made between 1937 and the start of WWII in 1939, and it is reputed less than 100 were ever made, so with reels damaged and lost in time, there must be only around half that number still in existence.

It is classed as a turntable reel, it is RH wind, and to cast you turn the spool on the pivot foot, make a cast, turn it back loop the line over the line guide hook, and fish it as a centrepin.

The reel I found does not appear to have seen much use, as there is very little wear to the faceplate around the handles, it also spin quite freely, and a modest stream will pull line from the reel to achieve a gentle trot.

It is not a reel I will use much, but I will get it out for the occasional trip to the river.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Hardy Match Fisher's Reel Too

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done Paul, you are right about the pricing being so high a few years ago. They are rare, so you have done well! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

"Envious ??? Moi ???" Yes indeed !!! Well done, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I appear to be drooling! My congratulations.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Well done Paul.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

An absolute cracking reel Paul - may it bring you many many fishes.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Well found Paul and a real bonus to find one in that condition. A great addition to the collection 👍
I would imagine Dave will be lying next to his bowl for the next few days enjoying his endless supply of treats :Hahaha:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Lovely, what a find.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Delightful Paul, you're very lucky to have such a generous dog...

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Never even heard of these until very recently and now we've seen two in quick succession! It's the Hardy rarety bus :Chuckle: Dave truly is that man's best friend :Sun:

Return to “Hardy Reels”