Hardy Silex 3 1/2 in. circa 1910.

The Hardy Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy Silex 3 1/2 in. circa 1910.

Post by AshbyCut »

What a lucky chap I am !!! Mrs, AC, better known as My Fair Lady, asked me a couple of days ago what she could buy me as my birthday present (she has a self-imposed embargo on buying me anything piscatorial).

A bit of fossicking on the old interweb ... a bit of negotiating ... and a deal was done for this 3 1/2 inch Hardy Silex, which bears a retailers stamp on the foot declaring "P. M. Fowler 1910" ... (or could it be the original owner ???).

Produced by Hardy Brothers between 1896 and 1911. The reel evolved quickly through the years of production. The first had no 'click' mechanism ... but by the time this on was made it had been added, with an on/off lever on the rim, along with part of the 'cage' removed to allow finger control, and a brass tension regulator ... meaning there are 3 methods of rim control.

It is widely believed that the reel was the brainchild of William Henry (Walter) Dingley, who worked for Hardy Brothers between 1891 and about 1911.

The initial "W" is stamped on the back plate, probably signifying it was made by John (Jackie) Waugh, who joined Hardy's as an apprentice, aged 15, in 1893 ... and he died oh TB in 1918, aged only 40.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Hardy Silex 3 1/2 in. circa 1910.

Post by Paul F »

Lovely acquisitions Mal, these early Silex's are so underated, they are well engineered, spin well & look great :Hat:

Nothing beats the engineering and look of the brake & check in this model.

You are right it was a Dingley designed & made reel, he stamped them too 'D'

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I love the old Silex models. I can't see from the photos, but if your reel has the one-way rachet you can if you wish to, change the handedness on the reel so you can wind with your left hand. The casting brake trigger would then be on the front and in easy reach of your digits when casting.

The way to do it is to mark the alignment of each part using a pencil and then undo the three screws so that you can lift the upper part off the lower gear or cog. That has a small shim or key inside that allows the reel to turn freely one way and applies the click in the other direction. Simply turn the gear or cog over and replace the shim or key. It is a bit fiddly to get the parts together and I turned the drum upside down to make it easier. Then assemble the parts ensuring that the pencil marks align.

Incidentally, do you have any reference to WH Dingley being called 'Walter'? I have looked into this, spoken to Brian Taylor and looked into family genealogy sites and not discovered anything tangible to support it.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

That’s a very fine example Mal to use or display. Many congratulations.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 am I love the old Silex models. I can't see from the photos, but if your reel has the one-way rachet you can if you wish to, change the handedness on the reel so you can wind with your left hand. The casting brake trigger would then be on the front and in easy reach of your digits when casting.

The way to do it is to mark the alignment of each part using a pencil and then undo the three screws so that you can lift the upper part off the lower gear or cog. That has a small shim or key inside that allows the reel to turn freely one way and applies the click in the other direction. Simply turn the gear or cog over and replace the shim or key. It is a bit fiddly to get the parts together and I turned the drum upside down to make it easier. Then assemble the parts ensuring that the pencil marks align.

Incidentally, do you have any reference to WH Dingley being called 'Walter'? I have looked into this, spoken to Brian Taylor and looked into family genealogy sites and not discovered anything tangible to support it.
These early silexes work either hand without the modification you mention.

It was designed for rhw, where the cut out is at the back, when using it lhw, the cut out is at the front, which makes it perfect for finger control trotting.

I wallis cast mine, and my finger finds the spool to brake with ease without looking.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Thank you for that information Paul. :Hat:

The one-way check must have come in later. I have it on my 1929 ish Silex Major.

The internals of Mal's Hardy Silex from around 1910 bear an uncanny resemblance to a 1912 ish JJS Walker & Co (pre-Bampton) that for some reason is missing the casting trigger and has had the half coin check mechanism altered. Looks like Mr. D simply re-created the old Silex when he moved out.

I use this reel in exactly the same way that you do for trotting. Let us hope that Mal will be able to put the Silex through its paces next season. :Beg:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That is a beauty AC :Thumb:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am Thank you for that information Paul. :Hat:

The one-way check must have come in later. I have it on my 1929 ish Silex Major.

The internals of Mal's Hardy Silex from around 1910 bear an uncanny resemblance to a 1912 ish JJS Walker & Co (pre-Bampton) that for some reason is missing the casting trigger and has had the half coin check mechanism altered. Looks like Mr. D simply re-created the old Silex when he moved out.

I use this reel in exactly the same way that you do for trotting. Let us hope that Mal will be able to put the Silex through its paces next season. :Beg:

That is great Clive, You can see the Dingley influence in the Walker reel, also
in other reels, and why not, the design and principle worked.

I see that one has a circular line guide too.?

Yes i agree, Mal will love using his Silex :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks for your comments, Gentlemen All ... It should be with me on Monday ... can't wait !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Paul F wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:47 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am Thank you for that information Paul. :Hat:

That is great Clive, You can see the Dingley influence in the Walker reel, also
in other reels, and why not, the design and principle worked.

I see that one has a circular line guide too.?

Yes i agree, Mal will love using his Silex :Hat:
The reel is a conundrum Paul. It has the holes and fittings to be a casting reel yet is missing the trigger and has had the half coin check milling filed smooth and disconnected from the check pawl. Then a manual check has been made using a sliding brass button. My guess is that it was one of the first reels to be made by Dingley after he left Hardy, possibly a prototype, and for some reason the reel was not finished off as planned. It was then turned into a useable fly reel by the addition of the brass line guard being brazed onto the half coin adjuster. I bought it from Alnwick so it might have belonged to one of the JJS Walker workers or their family.

Whereas Hardy seemed to simplify their reels after Dingley left he continued innovating.

Mal, I didn't realise that you were back fishing. I thought that you were still in self-isolation. Hope that you get some good weather to try out the new reel. :Thumb:

Return to “Hardy Reels”