continental rotorhead removal

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
FishingCarpenter
Stickleback

continental rotorhead removal

Post by FishingCarpenter »

my turn to ask for advice as i cannot find any circlips or other holding fixtures to release the rotor head from the pinion gear , i would like to clean the anti reverse but can’t get to it as it lives in the rotor housing . managed to polish the line wear grove in the bail arm . l am hoping to use it for trotting as i will be able to close the bail manually to stop the thud when reeling in from striking ( bumped a few roach and it kills the swim ) any advice would be truly appreciated,fishingcarpenter.70 days to go and i am already daydreaming about roach

Cat
Chub

Re: continental rotorhead removal

Post by Cat »

Black or green model?

FishingCarpenter
Stickleback

green

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Um, should come straight off as long as it doesn't have the small brass pin protuding into the casing (as in my black model - this makes it more difficult, and was designed to stop the head sliding back and forth, I assume). Obviously remove the handle, gear and shaft firstly...be aware the screw into the gear is an anti clockwise thread, otherwise it all ends in tears! Should be pretty straight forward. Let me how you get on.
Regards Cat

FishingCarpenter
Stickleback

will do 👍

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

F C a tip when using the Continental. You mentioned closing the bale manually. I would advise always doing this. I had a very nice example of this reel ( the best engineered of the Morritts stable) but one day the bale wire sheared at the point where it joins the ball shaped 'crook' where the line sits. The closing action of the bale on this and other Morritt reels is quite fierce and obviously stressed the metal over time. Closing manually is easily achieved and much quieter to boot.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

I had a very unexpected and unpleasant experience when confidentily trying to remove the rotor from my first Continental to fix the anti-reverse; everything was going well up until after removing the large 'C' clip from the plastic bushing on the back of the rotor.

I thought it would then be a simple case of just giving the rotor a tug to pull it and the bushing away from the body, but it absolutely would not budge, then, when trying to seat it back again, the worm drive would not sit home on the rear plastic bushing. I did my best to reposition everything, but the 'C' clip became a much tighter fit and the handle is now very stiff to operate.

I have serviced well over a hundred reels with great success (hence my stupidly over confident approach), but this was my first worm drive model.
I do have a better example with no issues (which I refuse to meddle with), so things aren't so bad, but I would like to get to the bottom of why the rotor would not come off, and hopefully get it working properly again?

Cant see any locating pins or studs

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”