Intrepid Classic “ticking”

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Intrepid Classic “ticking”

Post by Delaminated »

I wonder if any “Intrepid Buff” could tell me how to remove the rotor from the main body of my Classic so I can investigate and hopefully cure the ticking noise I get when I retrieve line with the anti reverse disengaged.
I must admit that I cannot see how the two parts can be separated.

Regards Tom.

Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Intrepid Classic “ticking”

Post by Moley »

Initially my thoughts are don't start fiddling if you are not sure.

So what to do?

Remove spool take a look see at the spring that works the bail arm as it may have slipped or become tighter causing the auto bail to click on the rotor stem. Hence clicking when winding.

Solution. adjust spring a little, not too much......liberally apply 3-in One to the spring and rotor visible to you.

Has clicking gone?

If not apply a good dollop of Castrol Grease...don't over do it mind.

Has clicking gone?

If so problem solved.

These reels were designed well and this should work if not pm me and I'll probably need to have a further looksee.

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

ImageImageImage
Here are some photos of a dismantled Classic I keep for spares. As you can see the rotor, bush and pinion gear are an assembly (pressed together) . I don't have access to my complete Classic at present so can't actually see what holds the rotor in place, but the rotor assembly slides quite easily out of its location in the main body once what ever retains it is removed.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi Catfish,
Thanks for your pictures. I too have a user and a spare. I had a look again this afternoon and indeed it is a simple push fit and then retained by a grub screw on the back of the main body.Interestingly, once the grub screws were removed one came apart with a good tug, the other needed recourse to a mallet!

Regards Tom.

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi Moley,
Have sent you a couple of pm’s re. the Classic but they have not appeared in my sent box so unsure if you got them. Wear has allowed the bail return trip lever to deviate slightly in its bed and foul the return stud on the rotor.
Will have to swap some parts with a spare reel to see if that helps, after a good clean and light lube after the Xmas break.( very cold in the shed this time of year).

Regards Tom.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Not seen any new pm's Tom.

Swapping parts could be an interesting exercise....I hope they fit. If they do the Classic is a nice little reel with a fan base on this site.

With regard to the lever catching the trip stud on the rotor perhaps gentle bending could rectify the problem. Do this with pliers after warning the part, either in boiling water or naked flame.

Any way worth a try so long as you do not rush the job and when I say gentle bending I mean it as bits snap easily under hamfisted pressure.

Good luck

As ever,...............

Moey
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”