Alcedo 2C Fixed spool

The Other Reels forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Alcedo 2C Fixed spool

Post by Reedling »

I purchased this reel at a boot fair recently and have cleaned it up the best I can.. so far. It is called an Alcedo, model 2c and is made in Italy.(Alcedo is a type of kingfisher) I have never seen or heard of this reel before and I just purchased it on a whim as it looked that little bit better than your run of the mill..odd.. fixed spools that you see about. The handle undoes and folds against the body, the anti reverse, which has a sweet tick, is the silver push/pull button on the side plate and the clutch is adjusted on the front of the spool, which looks very much like that used on an Morritts/Intrepid. The handle is made of a rubber material and though it works fine it is cosmetically challenged. There would have been a silver coloured Kingfisher logo where the roundel is on side plate but this is missing, a common occurrence because people liked them, took them off and saved them so I have read. There is a serial number stamped into the foot and the removable side plate and these match, 4R 101. If you see one do not pass it by without a turn of the handle it is a lovely smooth running reel in all respects. Here are a few pictures that I have just taken for reference..

Just loaded it up with 100m of 6LB Drennan Float Fish and it lays lovely, all ready to try when I go next... cannot wait.

I decided to open the side plate and have a look inside, the grease looks like tar but it is very smooth..

Last edited by Reedling on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crucian
Eel

Re: Alcedo 2C Fixed spool

Post by Crucian »

Nice reel, I've often fancied one myself.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have just loaded it up with some line Crucian, see picture above. This reel has really fired my enthusiasm to give it a go, I do not know why but it just feels a bit special to me.. strange :eyebrow:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Here you go an ad from fishing magazine quite an expensive reel at the time.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thank you Harry H, They certainly seem to praise the reel, and an expensive item by the looks of things. I think I will be very lucky to find the kingfisher disc to complete the reel, but you never know!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Here are a couple of Alcedo reels that I bought from Italy. The 2C/S seems to be the better quality of the 2 but saying that, I've had carp over 20lbs on the Jupiter. Nice reels, nice engineering.

The 2 C/S came with a box and instruction leaflet. The latter suggests that they were marketed by a US company called "Continental Arms Corp. Fishing tackle Division" of New York. I guess you could throw them at the enemy! :laugh1:
The Alcedo Micron looks a great little reel. Has anyone seen one in the flesh?
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I actually owned one of these, the 2Cs model which was bought brand new on recommendation from a friend in the 1960s and used for spinning in quite fast water.
It might not have been as aesthetically pleasing as a Hardy Atlex, but it was equally well engineered-indeed, better finished in some respects.
Ultra smooth and reliable, beautifully put together with no vices or weaknesses. I can honestly say that it was the best fixed spool workhorse that I have ever owned and used and had many delightful little refinements and features not found on other reels.

I sold it in mint condition after a while for the sole reason of it being left hand wind and try as I did, I could not get used to winding a spinning reel that way! ( can hear you all groaning from here!) an action I have since regretted more than once..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

They are a very well made reel. If you find an example with the Kingfisher in flight you can at least double your money.
Last edited by Fredline on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I think that some early fixed spools are a bit “ challenged” in the looks dept, but there is something about these Alcedos that ticks all the boxes for me . I must admit I have never seen one before, but will certainly be keeping my eyes open for one now !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

A little bit more on my Alcedo reel... :Hat:
https://traditionalfisherman.com/viewto ... 28&t=25209

Return to “Other Reels”