Daiwa reel

The Other Reels forum.
BF60
Minnow

Daiwa reel

Post by BF60 »

Hi. Can anyone tell me the difference between a Daiwa 7700 and a Daiwa 7700a?
Any info greatly appreciated.

Stingray
Grayling

Re: Daiwa reel

Post by Stingray »

Not specifically I'm afraid. The version marking of that series of Daiwa reels was very diligent and changes or groups of were always (as far as I know) marked with a version letter increment , A, B, C, D, E, etc,. This was in stark contrast to some other manufacturers eg. Morritts who often made even major changes without flagging it up. Sometimes Daiwa's inremental changes were very major, for example the the 7290 from the same series as the 7700 went from plastic to anodised metal spool and a spring-loaded drag making it a much better reel in a single increment; other increments on reels from the series were less significant or just cosmetic or not easy to spot at all. I have a 7700 (great reel btw) but have not had hands on a 7700A so cannot tell you what the difference is other than to say Daiwa did not add version letters for nothing so there is some difference and there is a fair chance that it will be an improvement.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Not sure if this helps but I had my 730 (blue, RHW), 7300H (a sort of metalic 'champagne gold' colour) and 7300HA(almost a metalic khaki) apart for greasing recently and could see no strikingly obvious internal differences? Externally the 7300H and 7300HA have differences in stems, handles, body sideplate and bail wire shapes as well as colours/ shades of paint. I'm sure the Don of classic Daiwa's will know more....over to you Bobthefloat/Terry :Sun:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I'm no expert by any means just a very sick man with an unhealthy amount of brown diawas!
The 7700 is a lovely looking reel with its unique side plate design. As it stands it one of the only ones in the series I think I've resisted buying just because of its size as I don't need anything bigger than a 7600 but never say never.
I think Stingray has put it perfectly the slight changes in the reels regarding lettering are very subtle in most cases but must indicate slight upgrades or improvements even if not immediately obvious.
One thing for sure is they are the best looking fix spooled reels ever made! I sold my complete Hardy Altex collection so I could have more room to display these works of art.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Bobthefloat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 am
One thing for sure is they are the best looking fix spooled reels ever made! I sold my complete Hardy Altex collection so I could have more room to display these works of art.

Class....:whistle: :readnews:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

BF60
Minnow

Post by BF60 »

Thank you very much for all your replies.

Return to “Other Reels”