Behold the Beast.....

The Other Reels forum.
Stathamender
Tench

Re: Behold the Beast.....

Post by Stathamender »

Fascinating stuff Chavender. I think my main reasons for thinking it a 'homemade' are a) absence of any maker's marks of any kind; b) the general roughness of finish in certain places (look how crudely the reel seat has been attached to the reel back) and c) the moderness of feel (only way I can put it). It has, as you point out, been machined straight from aluminium stock rather than casting (other than the seat) and that plastic inner spool means it must be 1960s at the earliest.

Interesting you should mention Lewtham, their design is exactly the same (but black anodised and now with a ratchet) even in the little details like the knobs on the ratchet and the centre spindle and that black plastic cap over the top of the bearings chamber. Do they still make these? There a couple of places on the web offering them but the company appears to be involved solely in plumbing and gas engineering these days and the reels don't seem to be on any dealer sites. They had a couple of reviews back 10 years ago but nothing since.

Anybody know who Lewtham bought the Leeds tooling, blueprints etc from? And they appear to make a habit of that, back in the 1980s Lewtham apparently bought up the last reel making bit of Reuben Heaton, who were the original manufacturers (to W F Homer's design) of the Flick-'em, although at the end all they made were Scarborough reels either in wood or Tufnol.

Iain

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Homers invented the "Flick em" reel and stock the genuine article.

Taken from the Angler,s Guide 1948/49

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think I was once told Homers invented it, but RH made it for them?

Moley!

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

It is indeed an early Leeds reel. I think they were available new up until a couple of years ago, but the company seems to have ceased trading. Later versions had spun metal drums with a knurled rim and they were produced in two sizes a 4inch and a 5 1/2 inch. They make good trotting reels and the "brake" is like it is because they were only intended for trotting and so didn't need a ratchet. Your version has the early drum retaining nut which is prone to coming undone if not loctited on.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

To oil the bearings you need to remove the black plastic cover - it's just a push fit. Underneath it is a circlip which when removed allows you to pull out the bearings. Later ones all come apart quite easily, but I haven't worked on an early one.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

This is a Lewtham Products The "Leeds" 4 1/4" by 1 1/4" wide spool.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Ah sorry it's a spring washer that holds the bearing in - a senior moment from me :oops:

CentrepinGuru
Stickleback

Post by CentrepinGuru »

Last edited by CentrepinGuru on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Other Reels”