Behold the Beast.....

The Other Reels forum.
Stathamender
Tench

Behold the Beast.....

Post by Stathamender »

I have a saved search for 'Reynolds reel' on Ebay and a few weeks ago it threw up something called a 'Harry Reynolds' reel. I think the seller was the guy I bought a genuine Reynolds from a few months back who didn't know what it was until I told him. Anyway one look at the photos says it's not a Reynolds but it does look like it might be an engineer or apprentice made copy of one and these interest me. It came reasonably cheap.

But when the parcel arrives it's obviously something quite different, the main problem with the photos is that they didn't show the scale of the thing. It's obviously a one off own made job but the model for it is a 'Leeds' style reel. It's big. Behold the beast......
It's pictured between my Reynolds Stanton (partially disassembled for servicing/cleaning) and an Avon Royal Supreme. The external diameter is 5 1/2 inches, 4 inches between line lays. Interestingly the weight difference is not all that great, it's 328g, the Stanton is 309g and the ARS is 264g, all of these without line (the weight of a fully loaded Mitchell 330 is, strangely enough, exactly 330g).

Looking at the back the homeamade nature is even more obvious:
That central knurled knob attaches to the screwed end of central spindle which runs through the centre of the main spool

and you need to screw this knob at least finger tight to get the spool to spin smoothly. It actually spins very smoothly indeed although, as with all bearings reels, it has to be held in the vertical plane for this to happen. The bearings themselves are held within the central core of the reel, which looks like, and may well be, an old plastic cotton reel although it could obviously also be a piece of specifically turned plastic. I haven't figured out yet how one might access the bearings for servicing as the black plastic cover on the front face of the reel is very firmly fixed in place. Any ideas gratefully received.
The final oddity is that there is, as with many Leeds reels, no ratchet (many were even made without handles), instead there is a spring drag. The knurled knob in the final picture above can be turned to push a spring mounted piece of plastic, or perhaps solid nylon, rod through a hole in the back of the base plate underneath the knob which then presses against rotating spool. It's fairly crude procedure and the result is very uneven as it, in effect, forces the spinning spool slightly out of position.

It's a simpler design than the Stanton and would need significantly less skill to make but this has been very nicely made to a high degree of precision. I know that, in the past, Leeds style reels have been criticised because their size might mean an increase in line friction on the butt ring but I think this will depend very much on the position of the ring and may, in the end, be a fairly negligible increase. I'm certainly going to use this (and I'll let you know how I get on) although I'm not sure if I'll hang on to it for more than a season. In any case, it is always pleasant (for me anyway) to use something that was clearly made by a person rather than a CNC machine, wonderful things though they are.

Iain

Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: Behold the Beast.....

Post by Chevin »

Likes like a Lewtham Leeds to me
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Likes like a Lewtham Leeds to me
Maybe, the Leeds is a fairly easily imitable pattern. But if so I really did get a bargain. Buit I don't think so, the finish on the Lewthams is much better than on this, it's obviously home-made. There was a similar one recently too that had either been painted or anodised black.

Iain

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

:whistle: I have a beast too, Australian pin with rotate cast function (name escapes me at the moment, possibly an Alvis) and it is sincerely huge. You would think it was for Tope fishing or something. But it spins very nicely indeed. Bought it on the bay of E in the closing minutes of an auction (there is a moral tale there!). Normally I would ask questions, like how many feet across the drum is this reel!? Now I think it will work well, but its my night fishing reel, so no one else sees me with it!!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Alvey's are good things actually: I was using one recently for a bit of piking and enjoyed it very much.

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

The VFC wrote:Alvey's are good things actually: I was using one recently for a bit of piking and enjoyed it very much.
That's reassuring! Its now my twilight rod VFC!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the maker has included a clever braking device to prevent over-runs or adjust trotting speed.

Lovely work on the line lays.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Not homemade I think - have seen quite a few on ebay and have one personally - unless they made dozens!

Excellent trotting reel for almost anything except carp & barbel!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Or put a tyre on it and attach it to a barrow :tea:

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

it looks like a pre-Lewtham leeds reel ,leeds reels were made from the sixties ,the originals ,I beleave wasn't made by Lewtham but a small company and Lewtham brought the tooling etc for the later versions ,the very early ones where in effect copys of rolls Royce "" stantons "" which where based on the renaulds reels .but rolls Royce reels where machined rather than cast like renaulds reels ,so apart from a few that stayed accurate most rolls Royce stantons had flat machined faces too the spools fronts as did the leeds .renaulds himself would travel too match towns like Sheffield ,leeds etc and go from pub to pub (probably known angling clubs pubs) and the rolls Royce reel makers did similar and took a spare reel to sell at away matches to cover travelling expences and its from such a reel that the leeds was based ,the 5½" was a popular size for match fishing because of the higher retrieval rate .

the early leeds was probably better than the equivalent rolls Royce reel ,they all share the big finger winding holes ,because handle only get in the way ,and you can actually wind faster by sticking ya finger in the holes then twirl the reel by hand (its all in the whist) than use handles ,plus some had the knurled rims too the spools to aid batting the drum .ratchets wasn't thought necassery ,the whole point was for a free as running reel ,ratchets where only good for holding the spool still for changing hook etc so the line didn't despool . a drag was for people who couldn't control their reels .so most of these types of reels (even renaulds ,only had ratchets and drags as optional extra's ,most had neither and rellied on the anglers skill in reel control and a all powerful thumb.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Other Reels”