Twynham centrepin - Grice & Young

The Other Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Twynham centrepin - Grice & Young

Post by Duckett »

I spotted the ‘pin below on the bay and thought that the boss and handles looked pure Grice & Young. A spot of research on-line threw up the fact that Christchurch used to be called Twynham and a comment on another thread here from Nobby with a broken link to a website in Australia. Following this, I found the page which now has a new URL: http://www.macman.id.au/index.php/luder ... luaGFtIl0=

As I have a soft spot for Grice & Young ‘pins, I put in a bid and, much to my surprise, won!

The handles and boss are clearly G&Y though it’s machined. The design of the cage and spool is Young’s Rapidex but with a very slight bevel to the walls of the spool. As Nobby says in his comments, the ratchet mechanism is closer to some Hardy designs. The foot is cast and held in place by brass rivets. The pin is held in place with a large chromed screw of brass coloured metal. She has a spool width of 3.75 inches and is extremely well built. I have a suspicion it may just be the Rolls Royce of G&Y ‘pins ..... OK maybe the Jag!

The ratchet is very strongly set for right hand wind, which I simply can’t get the hang of, so I’m going to put line on over the top to give her a testing on the bank.

ImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Twynham centrepin - Grice & Young

Post by Liphook »

:Thumb: It's a lovely pin that's for sure

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Fascinating! A nice looking pin, thanks for posting :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Oh, help, I think I'm in love! :drool:
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I was watching this one and very tempted to have a bid my self.
Lovely unusual piece of kit. Great that it ended in the hands of a TFF member.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks for the comments. As soon as work permits i’m going to get the Twynham wet and report back.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

At last!! Someone else has a Twynham and my suspicions about my own are confirmed! I love this solid, chunky, no-nonsense reel ands use it often. You'll be pleased with yours I'm sure, :Ok:

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 am At last!! Someone else has a Twynham and my suspicions about my own are confirmed! I love this solid, chunky, no-nonsense reel ands use it often. You'll be pleased with yours I'm sure, :Ok:

Troutbeck :Hat:
Thanks Troutback. So, we've now tracked down 3 of them: mine in the UK, yours in France and one in Australia. Given they they are built like a tank and should last for ages, that's a huge geographical spread for a 'pin that turns up so rarely - and the one pictured on the Oz site is slightly different to mine.

I'm starting to think that they didn't make very many of them.

Phil

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That's a lovely looking reel Phil, I think the pawl will probably turn over for left or right hand wind.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm That's a lovely looking reel Phil, I think the pawl will probably turn over for left or right hand wind.

Wal.
Hi Wal. Thanks, yes, I thought it might and gave it a go whilst I was giving her a good clean. Sadly, turn the pawl round round and there is no ratchet at all. A better fettler than me might be able to do it of course.

Phil

Return to “Other Reels”