Dyna/ Flite reel

The Other Reels forum.
Kev D
Chub

Dyna/ Flite reel

Post by Kev D »

An impulse trip to a boot sale on Saturday saw me parting with a fiver and returning with three old reels. Nothing to set the heart racing but an Omnia,after a de-seizing session was bagged by my other half's youngest to replace his Poundland Plastic Fantastic model . It actually looks the part on his little solid glass rod but I'm not convinced it's much of an upgrade😀
A K Dowling in dire condition with a missing hub looked like a scrapper but more of it later.
The bestest of the trio is a 3" centrepin with alloy spool and the most positive latch I've ever come across,set in a sturdy two piece hub. It is stamped
Dyna/Flite ; has anyone heard of them?
It spins really well and is just such a cute little reel.
20190729_093139_resized.jpg
20190729_093233_resized.jpg
20190729_093116_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Re: Dyna/ Flite reel

Post by Kev D »

The Dowling I confess was attacked with pliers and a small jeweller's hammer to straighten the hideously dented rim into something vaguely resembling an arc. This was after I had wrestled the spool off the spindle following various applications of lighter fluid and GT85 and do or die persuasion with the afore-mentioned jeweller's hammer.
At this point I expect the serious tackle restorers on the forum are already cringing.
😦 There is worse to come😧!
So,it's Dowling,I already have three quite nice ones and this one is not a fine example and never will be.That's my excuse for the following bodgery.
Take one old penny,cut it down to a circle the size of the missing hub, drill holes in relevent places . Then using jeweller's silver solder(no expense spared here) solder a brass nut over the central hole and cut down a brass bolt as as a hrub screw. Well it seems to work.Actually it spins better than one of my good Dowlings . I now have my "bottom of a bag" reel loaded with heavy line in case a pike comes along.
I won't mention the split handle repaired with Pound Shop epoxy☺ Horror pic to follow
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Re: Dyna/ Flite reel

Post by Kev D »

20190729_092809_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Reels”