Small French Centrepins & How To Use Them ?

The Other Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Small French Centrepins & How To Use Them ?

Post by Duckett »

Duebel wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:06 am https://youtu.be/8u9wXGo4pvI

That's a quite good video showing the mechanics of pêche au toc. I think it can be done on most trout streams that are not "fly only".
Thanks for posting that. Though my tourist French wasn't up to much of it, the diagrams made complete sense, though I'm certain I missed a lot of the finer points.

The thing is most reminded me of was Japanese Keiryu fishing with grubs and a very long pole on mountain streams. Though they don't use a weight or float, they do keep the line off the water with poles that can be over 8 metres long!

I could be wrong, but it also reminds me of the old style of River Thames trotting that I have seen described in a book I have. You position yourself on the bank in the middle of your swim, cast upstream and, keeping the rod up and the line off the water, allow the float to drift down and past you to the bottom of the swim. I have tried with my Homer 13.5 feet rod and my respect for anglers who could perform that feat all day knows no bounds. My arm was knackered after an hour. I'm planning on trying it again with a 14 feet Oliver's of Knebworth glass float rod that I have.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Duckett wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Duebel wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:06 am https://youtu.be/8u9wXGo4pvI

That's a quite good video showing the mechanics of pêche au toc. I think it can be done on most trout streams that are not "fly only".
Thanks for posting that. Though my tourist French wasn't up to much of it, the diagrams made complete sense, though I'm certain I missed a lot of the finer points.

The thing is most reminded me of was Japanese Keiryu fishing with grubs and a very long pole on mountain streams. Though they don't use a weight or float, they do keep the line off the water with poles that can be over 8 metres long!

I could be wrong, but it also reminds me of the old style of River Thames trotting that I have seen described in a book I have. You position yourself on the bank in the middle of your swim, cast upstream and, keeping the rod up and the line off the water, allow the float to drift down and past you to the bottom of the swim. I have tried with my Homer 13.5 feet rod and my respect for anglers who could perform that feat all day knows no bounds. My arm was knackered after an hour. I'm planning on trying it again with a 14 feet Oliver's of Knebworth glass float rod that I have.

Phil
My French is worse than my English, but I still understood quite a bit of what Monsieur was saying.
I think, they don't use a float, but a visual indicator. The line is shotted to allow the bait to get down to the fish without slowing down the natural drift of the bait. The rest follows pretty much the same principles as all methods of presenting a moving bait close to the river bed in the most natural way possible. Trotting, nymphing, Keiryu (never heard of that), ... you name it.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It - to me - is like trotting but keeping in very close contact with the 'blob' or floteur!

My friend even fishes in snow melt water - very cold! On the mountain streams the "swim" can be only 10 - 15 ft long - and crystal clear with every pebble seen!

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Out of curiosity, I tried out the little "Peerless Profile Multi 60" today. I teamed it with my 1950's W.J.Withall 8' rod, a 4lb line and some bread with mashed blackberry. The ledger weight was a swan shot. The 3lb carp was the best of three caught in the couple of hours I spent with the set up.
The reel seems perfect for fish of about that size. The only minor quibble being that the line has to be pulled off to cast, as the gearing cannot be disengaged. That said, I frequently cast that way in any case.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Other Reels”