DEP reels

The Other Reels forum.
Cane
Grayling

DEP reels

Post by Cane »

ImageImageImageImage

I understand from another reel discussion on the Mitchell, that the manufacturer of the DEP Savoy reel was situated just across the road from the C.A.P works. Circa 1950 to 60 ish?
A marvellously over engineered piece, but surprisingly fairly light for all the metal in it.
This one ticks around nicely, although, unlike the Mitchell, the tone of the ticks varies as it the handle turns. Don’t know why and it doesn’t matter. I’ve this one for a little while and have yet to try it out, but it will see action this year.
I gather it was made in several colours, but I don’t know what else the company made. Anyone out there know more?
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: DEP reels

Post by Mole-Patrol »

A big blank on the two French freead sites I use only one listed on ebay as 'not sold'. Possibly had a private offer. That one has a serial number of 67.

Must be a very rare and interesting reel.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Now that is a find (that needs a clean)! According to Bernard Caminade, it's a (SAP) Dep-Savoy from 1945 (if I'm correct in my translation). La Societe DEPERY Fresres a Scionzier. I think you ignore the SAP bit of the name as it wasn't used until '47. Very rare and very nice. Not very often I'm jealous, but I am!
You'll need to get a copy of La Cote Illustree des moulinets Francis by B. Caminade.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I really ,really like that. The segmented handle with ribbed knob, the little ventilation holes in the spool, the hub-cap and the way the rotor head overhangs the body; everything just looks right . To me anyway. It's a pity they are apparently rare😥.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Ha - I feel like I’ve been ‘outed’ over my ongoing affair with these reels.

First a bit of meat on the bones regarding information on them. The posts so far are accurate as indeed they were located close to the Mitchell factory and were about at roughly the same time. This could be found on the Mitchell Museum Site. I tried to get confirmation of dates but as been commented on before it now seems to be down with virus warnings coming up instead. As per the early Mitchell’s the first models featured a half bail which was probably due to the same difficulty as early Mitchells, in that Harry’s still had the patent for the full bail. At some later date, again just like Mitchell a full bail armcame out when the Hardy patent expired.

The big difference between Mitchell and Dep was that Mitchell made reels. Dep made lovely, stylish Art Deco clocks as well as reels. When my interest was peaked by these reels I found this connection and a piece of the jigsaw fell into place as to why their reels were so finely made.

I was interested in their history, although I have to admit it was initially a question of mistaken identity, I got them mixed up when looking for another French period reel. The first reel I bought was a monstrosity that I found on the bay of evil. I clicked on the page and a lime green monstrosity jumped out at me. Absolutely appalled that anyone could even consider committing such a monstrous crime against angling I felt compelled to rescue it. So for the princely sum of £10 plus a couple of quid for postage I rescued it from its ignominy. I christened it Kermit.

Those of a sensitive disposition may be advised to look away,

ImageImageImageImage

Once in my possession I wasted no time in stripping it down. It is complex yet simple. It is aethsetically pleasing but at the same time bonkers. It features a worm drive running gear, and a torsional bail spring (similar to Panhard suspensions). First thought was a chicken and egg scenario - what came first the Abu or the Dep? It has a body style not too dissimilar to the Hardy Altex with outrageous external lubrication ports. Totally off the wall like early Citroens which just did it their way. It features a complex drag knob assembly and an extending handle shaft. The actual handle pays more than a hint of early Mitchell - or does the early Mitchell have a hint of the early Dep?

I stripped the reel down and serviced it and got it ready for painting.

Unfortunately someone replaced the screw connecting the arm with the handle with a huge screw of the wrong thread. As the handle arm is splayed out, the hole drilled through the handle has to be spot on or it will feel horrible and lumpy on winding. I need to retap out the thread and then make a new screw on the lathe. Time consuming but not too difficult.

Someone thought this would do the job!!!

Now there are various pictures around of this model the Savoy ( don’t you think for a period reel, from a manufacturer who made Art Deco clocks that it had to be named the ‘Savoy’ - absolutely perfect). They seem to come in either black, turquoise of a mix of the two. Some of the pictures online show the turquoise finish to be hammered questioning is it original or has it had a coat of Hammerite. As I was rescuing Kermit from the crime of the century I though I had earned the right to be a bit creative so went for this.

And this as as far as I got. I have been doing quite a lot of rod building of late and I have another rod design project on the go which I would like to complete before October this year. I’m also looking at a different set of reels with a view to fettling and customising them so at the moment there are 3 Mitchell 810’s in various stages of stripping down on the bench. The Savoy was to be finished last year but I noticed a small reaction on the paint finish so I need a few hours to strip it down and repaint it and lacquer it again, plus the handle screw made then it’s good to go.

Knowing these are not common and also threads like this could increase the interest in them I did the following:

One is just not enough. Again for for a few pounds and I’ve got some pretty cool ideas for this one :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Should have kept it that lovely shade of green.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

What a story!

I'll be keeping an eye out for these when the vide-grenier season starts in March.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

:Thumb: Wow! I certainly didn’t expect such a great response and so quickly. Lots of think about there. Thanks.
It really is a work of art and very Art Deco.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I meant the clocks. Not the reel :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Hi Mark,

Is there any chance these reels could be promoted from ‘Tradional Reels/Other Reels to their own Dep category in Tradition Reels?

I feel these are worthy of more research and if they become more popular as a result of this then all the better.

Cheers

Neil
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Other Reels”