Daiwa servicing

The Other Reels forum.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Daiwa servicing

Post by Liphook »

On smaller models like the 7150 hrl it's just sitting loose on top of the washer stack

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Liphook wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:26 pm On smaller models like the 7150 hrl it's just sitting loose on top of the washer stack
No. The smaller ones do not have the Daiwa "spring-loaded drag" which refers only to the coil spring in the drag knob set-up. The spring-washer in the washer stack is not it. Originally all the 7000 series from the 7300 and up in size had the spring-loaded drag but it was subsequently added to a later increment of the next one down, the 7290, as well. For me that drag makes those 7000s that have it much better than the 700s and why I have collected 7000s but not t'others.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Stingray, in plain English a drag with a spring in it is a sprung drag, aka a spring loaded drag, whether it's retained within the drag knob/spool cap or not! The rest is the jingoistic lingo of the marketeers - something the Japanese are masters at (and is extremely prevalent with the modern 'brands' who outsource everything and make nothing but adverts).
My post was simply trying to help a fellow member. What I've described is correct for my little Daiwa and the description I gave of the carbontex washer replacement stands true across many reels of all kinds of manufacturers not just these Daiwas.
Perhaps as an expert collector you can tell us the time lines of production, colour changes and explain the differnces in various models, suffixes etc? Some pictures of your collection would be good too if possible ?

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Dunsmuir wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:21 pm
Stingray wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:01 pm The spring-loaded drags on the 7000 series have the coil spring not in the washer stack but built into the drag knob.
Ah, that explains it. I've been puzzling about how the spring loaded technology actually worked. I assumed it was something to do with the way the washers were held in the spool, but evidently not. Many thanks.
:Hat:

Return to “Other Reels”