Richard Carter Merlin LHW/RHW

The Other Reels forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Richard Carter Merlin LHW/RHW

Post by Beresford »

I wondered if somebody could advise me. It's ages since I've used my Carter Merlin and fiddling around with it today I thought the ratchet pawl might be the wrong way around for me as I hold the rod in my right hand and wind with my left. I thought that there might be very slightly more resistance winding in than when line would be taken out but either way it was a very marginal difference but I wondered if I could correct this.

So by way of an experiment I turned the pawl over, just as you would a fly reel. Doing this gave a very strong resistance winding in but less resistance giving line, so clearly thought this is what one would do to make the reel suitable to wind in with the right hand. However, I can't fathom out why the same difference in resistance isn't felt when the pawl is round the other way.

I've noticed on one website where there is a Merlin for sale that it is listed and being set-up for LHW but can be swapped over to RHW presumably by flipping over the pawl.

Anybody any thoughts on the apparent problems I seem to be having. I have missed something obvious?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Richard Carter Merlin LHW/RHW

Post by Watermole+ »

I have only worked on one Richard Carter reel before and on that one, the strength of “click” seems to be dictated by three things; firstly, the point either side of centre line between spindle centre and point of the pawl at which it touches the check wheel, the actual orientation of the pawl (logical), which you have already tried and the angle at which the spring bears upon it (not quite so obvious).

Just as guidance, first position the pawl to get the most favourable sound, even if it is biased in direction and strength.
To change the latter options, you may have to carefully tweak the spring so that it bears slightly to one side of centre of the apex of the pawl.
Use two pairs of fine, flat-nosed pliers; one to hold the spring to bend it and the other to hold it whilst doing so. Only the slightest alteration can make the world of difference so go carefully!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Watermole+,

Thank you kindly. I will follow your advice and take a look to see exactly how the spring is bearing on the pawl and report back, if I may.

EDIT
I've had another look and the spring bears precisely on the centre-line of the pawl.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MoleFisher
Stickleback

Post by MoleFisher »

You can of course return the reel to Richard Carter and ask him to adjust it.

Return to “Other Reels”