Spare spools for centrepin reels

The Other Reels forum.
Cane
Grayling

Spare spools for centrepin reels

Post by Cane »

Whilst fishing recently with one of my wooden reels, I realised that I could have done with a thinner line and probably one of better quality. That started me wondering about the existence of spare spools for centrepins. I’ve never seen any and the benefits seem pretty obvious.
There is, of course, the option to take along a spare reel and I often do, but there are times when I want to use a favourite reel, or I want to keep the kit light weight for roaming around. A spare spool would take up less room than a spare reel.
Does anyone know if these were ever made and if not, why not?
My second question is: when did spare spools come in, was it with the fixed spool reel and who came up with the first?
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Spare spools for centrepin reels

Post by Dave Burr »

John Wilson and Masterline came up with the idea for spare spool with their pins, mind you they were very expensive. As for fixed spool, my Intrepid Regent arrived with one in 1965 so it predates that for sure.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Years ago most anglers kept their end tackles on line winders so it only required putting a sensible sized line on the reel and attaching the appropriate end tackle to suit the chosen swim or species. It makes a lot of sense if you want to keep the weight down.

Wal.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Would it be worthwhile trying to tap up a local wood turner to see if it is feasible to make a copy of the original? The only issue could be the spindle bushing/ratchet gearwheel but with a bit of tinkering and lateral thinking I am sure that a servicable spare spool could be sorted. A damaged donor reel would be a good source of handles etc.
I made a spare spool for my orvis large arbour battenkill a few years ago, entirely from material in
the scrap bins at work. Availability wasn't the issue, it was purely because I was unwilling to pay £100 for an original.Image
About time I finished it! :Confused:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Thanks all. Some food for thought there. I’d forgotten about line winders. I haven’t used them for years. I’m interested to hear about any more company’s that made spare spools, particularly the earliest known.
That’s a good copy Silfield.
I do a bit of wood turning from time to time and I can make the spool, it’s just the mechanism, which happens to be a Slater latch on my favourite wooden reel. Ambitious!
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I had two spare spools made for my Browning Revolvers by Garry Mills. He had originally made the Browning's ay JWY, and had the spare spool blanks. They were made up specific to each centre pin, so had to be identified. I kept them for years until, I started reducing my tackle.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

A boxed spare spool for a 304/5 Mitchell was just sold on that site. Was this an after sale spare or available at the launch of the reel in 1953? That puts the concept o a spare spool to hand at nearly 70 yrs ago.... at least. Tony

Return to “Other Reels”