Medway reel.

The Other Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Medway reel.

Post by Mr B »

I was talking on line, ( quite fitting!) to a chap I know who was talking about a reel he used called a “Medway”
I have a “Medway” rod but have never heard of a reel by that name until last week.
Any feedback would be interesting...
As far as he knew it was made by a company in Kent after the war and was made by improvised plane parts etc..
It was said to be extremely free running..
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Re: Medway reel.

Post by Coral Maestro »

I had a quick look online but no success. I guess it's a centrepin reel by your description. Any chance of getting some photos of it and posting them here?
While I was looking online I came across an article from the Angler's Mail website with a photo of a 7lb 2oz Ide caught from the Medway. That's an impressive looking fish!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Unfortunately I have no photos of it.
It was something I was talking about to an Acquaintance of mine, who used to have one years ago,yes it was a centre pin.
It’s surprising what the Midway can turn up.

I was fishing Teston near the bridge a few years ago when a fellow angler caught a lovely Barbel, first one I’ve seen caught there.
Was it a fish you caught in the Anglers Mail?
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

No such luck! It was caught by a carp angler on a boilie!
I was fortunate enough to catch a 13-03 Barbel at Fordcombe during the 90's but haven't fished the river since.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Very nice Barbel..I’m yet to catch a double figure Barbel.
I’m going to try over the next few years.. would love it from The Thames.
Tight lines
Mr B

Return to “Other Reels”