Another Un-named 'Homer'

The Other Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Another Un-named 'Homer'

Post by AshbyCut »

Following my post 4 days ago (that reel hasn't arrived yet) ... I was looking on another site and couldn't believe my eyes. I saw a reel which looked to be identical, but "unmolested" !!! An offer was swiftly made ... and accepted ... and the reel arrived today.

To my untutored eye ... it is identical in every respect ... the shape of the latch ... the foot ... the machining ... the ratchet mechanism ... but, this one has the line guard ... the 24 holes around the rim of the spool look more like those on most other "Flick 'Em" style reels I have seen ... and the back plate is unventilated.

When I opened the box, the reel was (let's just say) 'a little tired' (no doubt why my offer was accepted). The spool turned only a little, the handles didn't rotate at all, and the interior was ungreased but with a coating of the 'grime of ages.'

About an hour and a half of dismantling and clearing ... brushing and polishing ... re-assembly ... oiling and greasing ... and it runs as sweet as any nut.

I was delighted to find that the handles, which looked black when i took them off, turned out to be a lovely translucent green !!!!! I can only hope this proves to be the case when the other one arrives ... as it would be further evidence that they were made by the same hand !!!

I'll post photos of them side by side when both are safely in my hands.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Another Un-named 'Homer'

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Lovely! :Thumb:

I hope that you have enough rods to accommodate your burgeoning collection :Chuckle:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Lovely looking reel.

Splendid user Mal, 3-4lb Maxima and the job's a good'un. Picture this on a wonderful Crucian lake, just as the sun is rising, with small bubbles popping up round your quill waggler and the float suddenly isn't in sight.........

The next bit is up to you!

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very nice!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I love those handles! Good purchase.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That looks very nice!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Reels”