Gyrex Reels

The Other Reels forum.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Gyrex Reels

Post by StefanDuma »

Looking for an image of a bakelite Gyrex reel I came across the Gyrex Anti-Back-Lash Casting reel and I have to admit that I have always dismissed these reels based on the perceived inferiority of the bakelite models.

I read the enclosed description and I am impressed with the specification and available with options.

I have also enclosed the details of the bakelite models and once again various options, three sizes and three options making 9 reels in total to collect.

These are from a Wadham Specialities Ltd 1938 catalogue at the time owned by Millward.

gryex.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Gyrex Reels

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Hmmmm, I bet it would backlash when I used it.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Me too, as is everyone I have tried.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Did Wadhams make these? I think I concluded, for entirely erroneous reasons, that Milward made them. An error I recently repeated on a recent thread on Bakelite reels. I’d like to get it right next time!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Duckett wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:33 pm Did Wadhams make these? I think I concluded, for entirely erroneous reasons, that Millward made them. An error I recently repeated on a recent thread on Bakelite reels. I’d like to get it right next time!

Phil
No Phil, the original reels were made by Percy Scott when they were in partnership as The Dreadnought Casting Reel Co. Once the company split in 1919 Wadham continued to source reels from Scott and when Millward purchased the company Wadham continued to sell the reels and added reels retailed by Millward.

I am fairly certain that at this time all reels were sourced from other people.

I have no idea who made the reels and further research is required. I wondered if the reels were a side line of another business?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

StefanDuma wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:48 am
Duckett wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:33 pm Did Wadhams make these? I think I concluded, for entirely erroneous reasons, that Millward made them. An error I recently repeated on a recent thread on Bakelite reels. I’d like to get it right next time!

Phil
No Phil, the original reels were made by Percy Scott when they were in partnership as The Dreadnought Casting Reel Co. Once the company split in 1919 Wadham continued to source reels from Scott and when Millward purchased the company Wadham continued to sell the reels and added reels retailed by Millward.

I am fairly certain that at this time all reels were sourced from other people.

I have no idea who made the reels and further research is required. I wondered if the reels were a side line of another business?
Many thanks Stefan. At least the Millward purchase explains my error!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I think they launched the reel in June 1932 as the reel was reviewed by the Yorkshire Post as part of their regular angling page.

Later the reels were also distributed by Henry Wilkes of Studley which I believe ended up as part of the Millward group of companies.
gyrex2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Mine is a metal Gyrex. I haven't tried it yet but don't think it'll be as efficient as the allcocks Easicast.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Well looking forward to see how you get on casting it.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:11 pm Hmmmm, I bet it would backlash when I used it.
Even abu ambassadeur can get birdsnests if you set them up wrong and make a jerky cast. The only one I've never had a problem with is my Hardy H.J.S. reel.

Return to “Other Reels”