Stupid Question Time regarding centrepin reels.

The Other Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Stupid Question Time regarding centrepin reels.

Post by Willsmodger »

I've been lurking in forums checking out reviews of various centrepin reels prior to possibly getting a new one.

One problem I've come across is that the budget end of the market suffers from poor tolerances i.e. the gap between the spool and the backplate is too wide, line gets behind it and snarls around the shaft and ratchet mechanism.

This provoked a thought. Has anyone ever made a skirted spool centrepin? So that instead of the spool sitting inside the backplate it has a lip that goes over it?

The handle is affixed in the usual way and clears the lip. The lip doesn't have to be so wide as to cross the whole width of the backplate, just enough to prevent line getting inside.

Wouldn't that solve the problem?, or would it be particularly prone to mud and grit getting in?

I dunno. This seems the right place to ask though?

All the best.
Will.

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Re: Stupid Question Time regarding centrepin reels.

Post by Wanderer »

Interesting idea, Willdsmodger.
I'm looking forward to what the knowledgable people on TFF think to it....
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'll be honest Willsmodger, I've used plenty of pins from across the board and I don't recall ever having the line go behind the spool. Fixed spools do it all the time, skirted or otherwise, but not pins.

Most pins do sit within the backplate which is like a skirt. If you have a pin that has such a chasm that eats your line, I wonder what it's like to use? Maybe it's time to upgrade - you don't have to spend a lot of money on something like a Spedia, Adcock Stanton plus a few more that names I cannot recall at present.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes the early Youngs Perfection Flick 'ems were the devil for line going behind the spool when fishing in any way other than trotting. Better tolerances were achieved post-war with the Rapidex.

Unless the spool had a rim totally overlapping the body I think line could still get in there with a bit of wind...pretty sure I could make it happen anyway.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Nobby wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:49 pm Yes the early Youngs Perfection Flick 'ems were the devil for line going behind the spool when fishing in any way other than trotting. Better tolerances were achieved post-war with the Rapidex.

Unless the spool had a rim totally overlapping the body I think line could still get in there with a bit of wind...pretty sure I could make it happen anyway.......
Are you known for your wind Nobby? :Hahaha:

When you look how fixed spool reels operate yet the line still manages to find its way behind the spool and around the spindle, then I'm sure that it would also find its way around a skirted spool on a 'pin.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I've had the line ( 3lb Maxima) get behind the spool on both a late model Perfection Flick em and a Trudex, both reels in pretty good knick. There are one or two of the cheap tin plate type pins that have the spool overlap the backplate and I've had the line trap on these too!

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Willsmodger, I have seen only one reel that matches your suggestion. That one was in wood and appeared to be a one off piece. Some side casters would also meet your needs ( those without a backplate). However, all reels seem to have their problems, if it’s not the line catching in the rim, then it catches around the handle or the foot. In the case of handles, a few centre pins reels have been made with folding handles.
Some of the line and rim problems can be reduced by using a thicker line. Pros and cons apply!
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I put it to you that the centrepin reel is a bit like a roundabout.

You're looking where you're going....road ahead or trotting float.

Then the line wraps around the handles beneath your gaze or gets in behind the spool.... or the bloke in front changes his mind and does a sudden stop at the give way, line so you collide with his rear.

oh, .... and American's don't understand them!

I rest my case, m'Lud.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:15 pm
Nobby wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:49 pm Yes the early Youngs Perfection Flick 'ems were the devil for line going behind the spool when fishing in any way other than trotting. Better tolerances were achieved post-war with the Rapidex.

Are you known for your wind Nobby? :Hahaha:

When you look how fixed spool reels operate yet the line still manages to find its way behind the spool and around the spindle, then I'm sure that it would also find its way around a skirted spool on a 'pin.

Yes, I really am too old to eat cold pepperoni and chilli pizza as breakfast....time I grew up and thought of my poor guts.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The line gets sucked behind the spool on a fixed spool reel.
As the spool moves forwards it creates a partial vacuum behind it and anything near that gap will get drawn in along with the air.
Some match spools were fitted with chenille to stop this as it occurs more with fine lines.
The worst reel I ever had for this was one of the Abu 44x high speed reels. Even 8lb line often got behind the spool.

Never had the problem with centrepins.

Wal.

Return to “Other Reels”