massive sea trout

This forum is for discussing trout.
Torridge Cane
Dace

massive sea trout

Post by Torridge Cane »

Hello
i had the opportunity to fish the famous beam weir on the River Torridge last week , something l have wanted to do for a long time
l had got there in the dark , could hear fish jumping , all good signs , set up with a medicine fly l had made earlier in the day , 9ft leader ,
floating line ,
A take almost straight away , after an epic fight , got it too the net , quick picture and back , five casts , and another huge take ,this fish wanted
to get back to the sea ,felt very big ,after some time , heart in mouth , l started getting , line back ,onto the reel ,one frightening run ,and all was over ,slipped over my gye net , what a battle ,in the dark it felt huge , so l hurriedly got pictures , and back into the river ,two big fish in 40 minutes
here are the pictures ,ImageImage BASS ,BASS , the pool was full of them !!!!!!!!
l packed up and went ,after 4 more tiny fish about 1/4 -1/2 lbs
as far as l know , and talking to a few who fish it ,bass have not been caught there before .we all know they come up the river ,l fish for them in the day ,towards the sea ,
They have a small waterfall to get up ,the water is fresh ,it's not possible for it to have any sea water in it .
very strange !
what do you think ?
T.C

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: massive sea trout

Post by Dave Burr »

Bass can survive in fresh water for a limited period and - brace yourself - some have been conditioned to survive in fresh water permanently.

I know this for a fact as I recently discussed it with the new head of fishing development in Wales and noted biologist and fisheries consultant Bruno Broughton. There is a move to create (brace yourself again but really hard), a freshwater Sea Bass fishery in Wales to get in on the huge Bass competition circuit. :shocked:

Small waterfalls are negotiated by fish of all sizes with little hinderance so your bass TC were just acting naturally. There are many blurred lines where sea and freshwater meet, just enjoy the sport :Hat:

Torridge Cane
Dace

Post by Torridge Cane »

hope that never gets off the ground ,messing with nature always rears up and bites you in the a##e .
wants to spend his time, sorting salmon and sea trout problems ,what will they think of next , been tried with carp ,going to sea ,
and who's footing the bill for that ?

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

What a great surprise, realise you were after ST but it’s good to hear that you have Bass coming up the river.

Return to “Trout (Salmo trutta)”