Cold morning on the Upper Wensum?

This forum belongs to the River Wensum.
Lime&Flint
Minnow

Cold morning on the Upper Wensum?

Post by Lime&Flint »

I've been keeping my eye on the levels over the last few days hoping to catch a particular stretch in its prime. I arrived at the river this morning and began to trot, after a while it became evident that although the river itself was perfect, temperature was not on my side with 1 degree following another frost. After a couple of small dace a rudd and a large brown trout I called it a day. I realise this sounds like a fair catch but with only a few more degrees in temperature this particular spot is capable of producing large dace and roach. I should have resisted and waited a few weeks, however when you have to go you just have to go regardless of conditions!
IMG-20210101-WA0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JW1
Grayling

Re: Cold morning on the Upper Wensum?

Post by JW1 »

Nice trout and so good to be out.

JW

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

..... It's out of season and should have been released without delay or photos :-(

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I feel you did well considering the conditions, I am just hoping for a drop in the levels less push to the rivers flow and some uniform temperatures for a while. A Brownie is always on the cards, yes out of season - but you put him back and was not fishing for them.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Lime&Flint
Minnow

Post by Lime&Flint »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:01 pm ..... It's out of season and should have been released without delay or photos :-(
Blimey I've only been on here a day and already getting my wrists slapped! I can assure you he went back very strongly and was out of the water for no more than a few seconds. I'm a course/river angler at heart so please forgive my lack of game fish etiquette. We all fall from time to time.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

It felt bitterly cold in the breeze yesterday here in south Norfolk, :Hat: for making it to the river.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Lime&Flint
Minnow

Post by Lime&Flint »

Thanks, sometimes you feel as though you must be doing something wrong but temperatures etc play a massive part. The trout went back strongly. Initially I thought it was a jack due to the weight, it didn't go mad like a smaller trout would, just very heavy and positive in its fight. Of course I was hoping it was a massive roach though!

Lime&Flint
Minnow

Post by Lime&Flint »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:05 pm I feel you did well considering the conditions, I am just hoping for a drop in the levels less push to the rivers flow and some uniform temperatures for a while. A Brownie is always on the cards, yes out of season - but you put him back and was not fishing for them.

:Hat:
Thanks, I'd only fish for trout with a fly or spinner, can't help what comes along when trotting maggots. Hope you manage to get out in the bank soon and have a good day.

Lime&Flint
Minnow

Post by Lime&Flint »

Silfield wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:08 am It felt bitterly cold in the breeze yesterday here in south Norfolk, :Hat: for making it to the river.
Thanks, Are you anywhere near the Tiffey? Or further South?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Lime&Flint wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:55 am
Silfield wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:08 am It felt bitterly cold in the breeze yesterday here in south Norfolk, :Hat: for making it to the river.
Thanks, Are you anywhere near the Tiffey? Or further South?
The Tiffey is within easy walking distance but the stretch nearest to me is more like a storm drain than a river.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “River Wensum”