4.5" wide drum. Kenny Kendal Aerial.

The Kenny Kendall Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

4.5" wide drum. Kenny Kendal Aerial.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Another KK Aerial. 4 1/2" diameter wide drum. Believed to be another of Arthur Cromptons creations.

This reel came to me without winding handles and I believe it never had any from new like a lot of these Yorkshire match reels. The reel would be batted to retrieve line or a finger in hole to retrieve a fish. I much prefer reels with winding handles so had the handles fitted for my own use.

Wal.

ImageImageImageImage

Duckett
Tench

Re: 4.5" wide drum. Kenny Kendal Aerial.

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 pm Another KK Aerial. 4 1/2" diameter wide drum. Believed to be another of Arthur Cromptons creations.

This reel came to me without winding handles and I believe it never had any from new like a lot of these Yorkshire match reels. The reel would be batted to retrieve line or a finger in hole to retrieve a fish. I much prefer reels with winding handles so had the handles fitted for my own use.

Wal.
I think out reels could be brother and sister Wal! Mine was described as Kenny Kendal style centrepin when I bought it a few years ago. On mine the winding handles look to be original and it’s clearly been built for left hand wind. They are almost identical though!

Phil

ImageImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Phil,
yes they could have stood side by side in the shop window. I wonder how many more are out there. I don't think they were made on the same scale as the Reynolds Stanton reels but I think there are probably hundreds of them.

Wal.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

they was making reels right upto the seventies from around 38/39 .getting on for 40 years ,as I understood it he was taken too task by allcocks on a fe occasions but gave them the runaround till they eventually moved away from youngs/allcock copys .but that's not too say they couldn't of sneeked the odd one out time to time for customers ...because for the war years allcocks was selling very few reels ,they literally made hundreds till the 50's .not all reels was sold through the shops ,it was quite common for Kenny to sell them from his kitchen too .the reels are funny things you can go years and only see the odd one on auction site etc then suddenly you get loads showing up like buses .these early aerial was very well made and stood test of time ,and sell for less than allcock ones ,well most of the time...I have a 3.1\2" one ,brilliant for lighter fishing.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Interesting stuff from both Wal and Chavender, thanks.

I've used mine for margin fishing for tench and carp, close in floating bait for carp and trotting for chub and I think that its a wonderful centrepin. A previous owner had managed to get a slight curve in the line-lays but with the kind advice of Gary Mills I was able to fix this in quick time.

I suppose the fact that they don't have KK engraved on them, or any other concrete distinguishing marks, means that prices may always lag behind Allcock's Aerial and remain a 'pin for users primarily - an hurrah to that! To my eye and hand the quality of the engineering is the same.

As someone who believes that a centrepin belongs on the bank rather than in a bank, I try to make certain all of my reels and 'pins are used at least a few times a year, I consider the sort of prices KK 'pins go for to be fair and reasonable whereas Aerial prices seem to be collector led.

My only other thought is that, there are so many and so different looking KK 'pins out there that, surely someone else was making them in their garden shed?
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

others may of made similar reels ,but Kk was at it nearly 40 years ,so one a week would result in 2000+ in 40 years ,so say one a fortnight is still 1000+ reels in 40 years ,even 1 a more makes a modest 4-500 reels split that between many models and it works out rather well the aerials and trotting reels seem most prevelant (three different reels) ,the others not probably just to order rather than shop stock ,there was a couple of Kenny's shops to cater for pluss his private sales off the books .and they've all stood up too the ravishes of time.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Chavender wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:58 pm others may of made similar reels ,but Kk was at it nearly 40 years ,so one a week would result in 2000+ in 40 years ,so say one a fortnight is still 1000+ reels in 40 years ,even 1 a more makes a modest 4-500 reels split that between many models and it works out rather well the aerials and trotting reels seem most prevelant (three different reels) ,the others not probably just to order rather than shop stock ,there was a couple of Kenny's shops to cater for pluss his private sales off the books .and they've all stood up too the ravishes of time.
Point taken Chavender! Cheers,

Phil

Return to “Kenny Kendall Reels”