early aerial with specially adapted foot

The Kenny Kendall Reels forum.
Chavender
Eel

early aerial with specially adapted foot

Post by Chavender »

Vintage Aerial Centrepin Trotting Fishing Reel (1940's/1950's) . 4.3/8" diameter with a 1.1/4" caged wide drum. 12 ventilations to face with usual adjustable centre drag and twin handles (iverine?) , Wire V spring (groovy) rear optional check button. Brass foot with the correct "Kendal" spacers for adjustable reel-height-to-rod position. probably special order for some spindly fingered gent no doubt ,as it lowers the reel away from the rod .the customer is always right...

standard looking from the front ,but has iverine type handles .

A closer look inside the reel ,reveals its secret of that foot ,its got extended / raised foot with a cut out (thumb access) ,so as to take rim away from the rods handle.

strange reel ,but if you want it they can provide it ,I guess ...
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: early aerial with specially adapted foot

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I like the look of that one Steve. It looks like it has a nice well rubbed finish to it.

I had a Reynolds/Stanton type reel with a spacer fitted between the foot and I must admit it gave a nice, more secure feel in use. I did think it had been built with a turntable foot at some time and then removed but after seeing this KK one, I'm not so sure now.

Wal.

Chavender
Eel

Re: early aerial with specially adapted foot

Post by Chavender »

I guess if you have longer fingers etc the extra reach is great and more comfortable ,the only others I've seen set lower away from the rod is the mk1 speedia ,it has a higher foot piller ,something that changed with later models ,mine aint the longest of fingers but the extra room is nice .some reels are rather close too the rod ,and tight for thumb access .this reel throws up some nice idea's about making spacers ....
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Kenny Kendall Reels”