trotting Reel (youngs pattern 9&10 style) [unconfirmed]

The Kenny Kendall Reels forum.
Chavender
Eel

Re: trotting Reel (youngs pattern 9&10 style) [unconfirmed]

Post by Chavender »

This one is tenuous at best but appears too be of the same type of reel but curiously ,as a centre cover ,is this a bearings version ? and has the name Gem on that cover ? is that the name Kk gave too these reels ,i'm sure he must of named them its just not documented ,but then very little about these reels or Kk reels in general is documented .... might that have something too do with the fact Kenny was known too sell reels off the books from his kitchen ,no paper trails....

I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

and now the controversy ...

ok because the trotting versions has a " W " spring like the one renaulds and later adcocks used in their stantons and because the reels date from the same period as renaulds stantons ,that they could be made by him .but theres no proof (no direct proof they're Kk reels) and much doubt as renaulds only made the one style of reel a bearings reel as he was dismissive of bushings reels .and his & cliff adcocks version of the springs are different .

renaulds W spring isn't really a W shape ,if you join the dots as it where where the screws are you get a octagon 8 angled sided shape to it

these reels W spring would be hexagon in shape only six sided ,not the same ,similar but different (in Kk style) here compared with both renaulds version and adcocks upside down fitted version (I guess cliff wanted to definciate between his and renaulds reels version but identical otherwise

so you see its quite different ,plus theres another factor in it being a Kk reel ,you see theres another reel thought too be a Kk reel ,using the same six sided W spring ...

So with the fact renaulds only made bearings reels and his spring is different (he wasn't a man for making changes) and disliked bushings reels in favour of bearings ones he thought superior ,no not renaulds made reels .

theres other similarities with Kk reels and theres that other reel said too be Kk made & being quite similar too, but slightly different too another makers reel (in KKs way of doing them) ,it's more likely they was made By kenney Kendal and Arthur Crompton .more on this other reel else whare in this section.

Or could just be a yet unknown maker who also liked to copy/pirate other peoples reels...that's why its labelled unconfirmed !
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Further to Chavender's photos and descriptions of the above reels posted in March, I have rediscovered one of my own tucked away in a cupboard, which is the same make of reel as the one he mentions and questions whether the handles were original. Well my reel has exactly the same handles as can be seen in the attached photos. So they must be original
Never having used the reel before I am now tempted to give it a try once the weed has died back on our local rivers.It spins very freely and it seems a shame not to have used it in all the time i have owned it.ImageImageImage

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I cant really add anything that is known for certain Steve but one or two things I have noticed about the Kenny Kendal reels which were almost certainly made by his good friend Arthur Crompton are the winding handles are generally held in place with slot head nuts see below.
Original check parts show a lot of hand filing. The reel on the right came with parts missing so I used a couple of check operating parts from a Youngs reel. The foot shape is a little unusual but quite common on most of these reels too.

The same handles on an Aerial type by Arthur Crompton
ImageImage

Here is a centre caster I bought recently which almost certainly from the same hand.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The other reels which I did believe were made by Harry Reynolds do have many similarities and other than changes in materials the parts are all the same shape. I think they could have been made before he started making the bearing reels but possibly at the same time for anglers who preferred a lighter trotting reel. Whoever made them, they are very fine reels indeed.

I have had at least 12 of them up to date but here are 6 nice ones to show some slight variations.

ImageImage

And a perforated drum version which I rebuilt a few years ago.
ImageImageImageImage
Wal.

Return to “Kenny Kendall Reels”