Avon Royal Supreme Off/On brake

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Stingray
Grayling

Avon Royal Supreme Off/On brake

Post by Stingray »

I have one of these which is a geat reel I must say but the brake Off/On on the back doesn't seem to have any effect on the spin. All parts are present, and it so I was wondering if this is a known issue ?
Last edited by Stingray on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Avon Roayal Supreme Off/On brake

Post by Duckett »

I have two of these, an later 2 screw boss version and the early 3 screw version. The later one is stored at my brothers, so I can’t look at that at the moment, however, I think both mechanisms are the same whilst how they are put together isn’t.

Neither of mine have stopped functioning but what I can say is that both break mechanisms apply slightly different amounts of breaking. I assume that’s down to the build as no parts look worn but wear could do it.

If yours isn’t functioning at all, could I suggest you check the distance the spring travels as you move the break lever from “off” to “on”? The spring when in off lies flush to the “wick oiler” reservoir. As you move the lever towards on it shifts about 2mm away from the reservoir. This moves it to tighten against the side of the thick washer-like break disk that is fixed above the ratchet gear (in my older model these are screwed together, in later models they are riveted together).

If the spring moves, I would assume that the break disk is worn or the spring isn’t holding when tightened against it. I suppose it’s also possible that the disk of metal between the break lever and the spring might be worn.

Let me know if you’d like me to post some photos of mine. Hope that helps.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

MacMan
Dace

Re: Avon Roayal Supreme Off/On brake

Post by MacMan »

Like Duckett, happy to help, post a photo if you can.

Matt

Stingray
Grayling

Re: Avon Royal Supreme Off/On brake

Post by Stingray »

Thanks for the replies, chaps. The first image is Full OFF and the second image is Full ON.

ImageImage

It's a two screw boss by the way.

Thanks,

DAVE.

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

Hi Dave,

Really looks like the circular piece is completely centred. It should be off centre so that as you turn the lever the thicker part pushes the spring towards the pin, is the round disk turning when you move the lever?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

The cam does not appear to be pushing the spring across very far to brake the spool. Just as a quick try... put a little bit of matchstick etc in between the leaves of that spring to make the leading edge very very slightly closer to the spindle(hope that makes sense) just in case the spring has become too compressed.
Last edited by Reedling on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I agree with both MacMan and Reedling. I'll take a look at mine and compare it to your this evening and let you know if I have any other suggestions.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It looks to me like the flat spring which the cam rubs against needs opening up.
It was probably rubbing against the drum slightly even in the off position and someone has squashed it in with a pair of pliers.
I should have a photo somewhere but cant find one. I'll put one on when I find it.

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

If Wal is correct, sadly a photo of the spring from my early version won’t help as the spring is a slightly different shape. However, there is a very clear photo of one that looks identical to yours on the Thomas Turner website:

https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/grice ... condition/

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Thanks, chaps. I put a piece of card inside the spring and it seemed to work with that in there. Thanks for the link, my spring does look a little bit squashed compared to the the Thomas Turner example. When it does come around to me opening up the spring it would also be a help to know roughly what it should do, that is: I know OFF should be no contact but how much braking should be occuring on t'other settings ?

DAVE.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”