Avon Royal Supreme 111

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Avon Royal Supreme 111

Post by Martin(rockape) »

I quite like the Avon Royal Supreme III but know nothing about it and assume there are 2 other reels before it?

What are the differences between each model and which is the better?

Any information about these reels would be gratefully received and may help me make a better decision should i decided to pursue a purchase of one or the other(s).

Thank you Gents

Regards

Martin

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Re: Avon Royal Supreme 111

Post by Eddy Pools »

Martin,
I have early versions of the Avon Royal Supreme and a Gipsy D'or and I use them both a great deal.

Sorry, I don't have one of the later versions to make a comparison between the two versions of the Avon Royal Supreme. The obvious visual differences are the centre boss which has three screws on the earlier version and two screws on the later, the diameter of the drum on the early version is 4 3/8" and 4 1/2" on the later version, and the colour - 'silver' for the early version and 'gold' for the later.

I've come across two sources with good information on Grice and Young reels.

This first one is my favourite as it contains all of the history of G&Y reels (it was produced by Macman who is a TFF member) http://www.macman.id.au/index.php/luder ... yers-guide. It contains a whole section on the Avon Royal Supreme, with some helpful pictures.

To answer your specific question about different versions of the Avon royal Supreme you will find a statement "So, the Avon Royal Supreme 3 is called that because of its size ie 4.5 inch not because there were 2 different versions before it."

Macman posted this thread viewtopic.php?f=490&t=30567 which is worth investigating. If you follow the link included in that post I would draw your attention specifically to the bottom of the page where there is an early G&Y catalogue including a 1952 price list which I think is fascinating.

There is also lots of information on here if you use the search facility.

I hope that this helps.

Geoff

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I love them! I know there are lots of versions but, for me at least, there is a simple 2 way split - early ones with the 3 screw central boss and later ones with the 2 screw central boss.

I have one of each and Have come to the conclusion that the early, 3 screw boss version, is far better built than the later version.

As Eddy Pools says, the best source of information is Macman’s site.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Thank you very much to both of you.
I've probably just missed a good one on ebay going for £50 in excellent condition. As i know nothing about the value of any given reel i was somewhat hesitant in pursuing it.

Regards

Martin

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Martin(rockape) wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:07 pm Thank you very much to both of you.
I've probably just missed a good one on ebay going for £50 in excellent condition. As i know nothing about the value of any given reel i was somewhat hesitant in pursuing it.

Regards

Martins
I haven’t bought an ARS for 18 months but I’m fond of G&Y ‘pins and do keep an eye on them on fleabay. At the moment £50 seems a fair price for a 2 screw boss version, though some of the brighter colour combinations of them do seem to fetch a bit more. You’ll pay more for a 3 screw boss one.

Unless you aren’t bothered, check that the line guard, spare grub screw and spare pawl are all present as well as the screw on cover on the oil wicker. The silver painted ones don’t show their battle scars as much as the gold ones in my opinion.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Thanks for the advice Phil i think I'm better armed now.

Regards

Martin

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

My oppologies Geoff, thank you for the link very helpful indeed.

Regards

Martin

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”