Gypsy D'or

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Gypsy D'or

Post by Martin(rockape) »

Managed to get hold of this off a well known auction site for £27.50 plus postage. If the photos are good to go by then its in lovely condition.

It has a 2 screw release cap/centre boss and i believe its a good deal unless any of you more experienced gents think otherwise?

Regards

Martin

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Gypsy D'or

Post by Old Man River »

Bulletproof !

I use one that came into my posession after a soaking in a Canal, that was back in 1966 I think, still going strong and used throughout all the intervening years .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Something about grice and young reels that i find attractive..... very rugged looking and very very functional.

Regards

Martin

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes, workhorse reels but very well thought out and well engineered.
I always thought the designer was definitely an angler. Everything is in the right place.

Wal.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Agreed!

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

What sort of price for one though?

Regards

Martin

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Sounds about right to me Martin, though I'm no expert and I've never owned Gypsy D'Or. You'll know yourself when it arrives - if it's straight and runs well then I strongly suspect you'll be a fan. Let's hope so :Thumb:

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Liphook wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:40 pm Sounds about right to me Martin, though I'm no expert and I've never owned Gypsy D'Or. You'll know yourself when it arrives - if it's straight and runs well then I strongly suspect you'll be a fan. Let's hope so :Thumb:
Looked good in the photos.
I do like grice and young, I've already got a jecta lll which i use for pike fishing and I'm yet to try my Avon royal out.

Regards

Martin

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

My Gypsy D'or arrived this morning and I'm chuffed to bits with it. Hardly any chips or wear to the paint work spins beautifully and ratchet performs as it should. It clearly looks as if it's hardly used and as already said all for £31.10 posted.

I do have a question though, the the ring for the ratchet on the back plate, should it be a complete circle as in brazed or soldered together?
The ratchet does work so it isn't a problem and i only noticed this because it's slightly off centre.

Regards

Martin

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Never owned or really tried any Grice & Young reels, but if old sausage fingers has had one and used it over the last 30-40 years I cannot think of a better accolade to pin on them.

:Hat:
—————————-
Edit - OMR is affectionately known as ‘Sausage Fingers’. :Cool:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”