Crabtree/teardrop net spreader block

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Crabtree/teardrop net spreader block

Post by Richard Jackson »

Hi all, could anybody tell me what angle is supposed to be on a Crabtree/teardrop spreader block please
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Crabtree/teardrop net spreader block

Post by Watermole+ »

I don't think that there is any set angle; it's whatever you want it to be when it is pleasing to the eye.

They seem to vary quite a lot, according to the individual maker, from a bit less than 90, right up to about 150 when it is almost round, these figures are the included angles of course.

Generally speaking, most people seem to settle for about 90 or thereabouts..

.. though my preference is for the more open design, like this:-

If you are making yours from one single strip of wood, it might be worth remembering that he more rounded the net frame, the more difficult it is to form, though if you can get some really nice, straight grained ash and steam it through thoroughly, it will usually bend OK.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Thankyou Watermole , is your net made by yourself ? I am constructing one at the moment with 1 solid piece , I have steamed it this afternoon and placed in the former , I attempted one with laminated strips but the glue I used did not adhere to well (no nails) I then laminated another one and used copydex glue , much stronger and adhered well but I didn’t put enough clamps on
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Thank you Richard. The second net is my own design and construction, made from many hardwood strips, steamed first and allowed to dry out, then glued together.

The secret is to really steam it through for a long time so that the wood is too hot to touch without gloves and soaking wet.

I only use "TITEBOND 3" glue for this as it is the strongest and most waterproof wood glue I have discovered to date, though the woodworking experts on here may know of a better one. It also has a quite good 'working' time to allow adjustments. It is creamy-white when wet, but dries out clear.

If you get it right, the strips set so firmly that they retain their shape quite naturally without stress..
This is one made from hardwoods, just out of the former and cleaned up..

Kind regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”