Replacement Barder-type net bags

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Replacement Barder-type net bags

Post by Beresford »

I thought the current advice/best practice is to use the smallest size mesh possible to avoid split fins and other damage.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Beresford wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:00 pm I thought the current advice/best practice is to use the smallest size mesh possible to avoid split fins and other damage.
Absolutely - An issue when sourcing nets that need to be large and used primarily for Carp, Barbel & Tench.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Pallenpool & Beresford.

You're quite right. The 1" mesh Edward uses is a sensible compromise. Any larger risks damage, and any smaller can be impossible to use in fast flows, where water pressure sweeps the net downstream. But as I said in my original post, that has all been discussed at length before. This is just about sourcing the mesh that has been selected.

W.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Just to add something else to the mix.In the past Dinsmores sold a full size modern design Carp net, the sides of the bag having a mesh just up on half an inch and a kind of antique bronze colour which looks absolutely brilliant on a vintage frame. The gauge of the thread is spot on too, not too fine. I picked one up quite cheaply a few years ago and made two decent sized nets from it.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”