Handles

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Handles

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Thank you very much OMR. :Hat:

This is a practise run for when we will be able to travel down to Cajarc where there is a feral plantation of black bamboo so no flaming (I hope). I don't have a hot air gun nor the bravery to nick the good lady's hairdryer so I was going to pass the cane over the BBQ. I have read about this method, albeit for rod making and it should be easy to do; bottle of gas, BBQ and a glass of beer are all that is required :cheers:

I wish that I had your skills. I have all the ideas, but none of the skills required to do the job. Making stuff like the laminated landing net frames fascinates me and frustrates me in equal measures as I know before starting that I'll make a mess of it.

p.s. If you need any cane culms, ex Pezon et Michel, that were rescued from the factory before the new tenant burned them :shocked: let me know. They are in Brittany and measure between 110cm and 130cm. :secret:

Marki Mark
Stickleback

Re: Handles

Post by Marki Mark »

Hello, am restoring an old wood hooped ( ash i think) trout net (15x13 ins) with a bamboo handle (18ins) and wood stock hand grip (8ins) mahogany i think.

Q what do i clean the wood hoop with ( the net will have to be replaced) and the wood handle, looks like old remnants of previous varnish patches

does the old varnish have to be removed ? with what
and then re varnished ? any suggestions
the bamboo looks solid and shiny, does this need an over varnish to seal it.

I believe its at least 70 odd years old , but its very solid and is crying out to be put to use again ( lock down travel a problem at the moment , but no social distancing issues...not a sole in sight for 20 miles on the upper reaches of the Torridge !)

many thanks

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”