Allcock water Wolf restoration....

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Wallys-Cast
Sea Trout

Re: Alcock water Wolf restoration....

Post by Wallys-Cast » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 am

BB, the stuck reel band will probably be pinned in place, punch the pins in if you want to move it.
I am really looking forward to seeing this lovely old rod back in action.

Wal.

BoltonBullfinch
Rudd

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks wal, I eventually sussed that out last night after spending 30 minutes trying to move the immovable.
I also took a patch of varnish off the rod and the mottling has nearly disappeared. I may need to get the bottom two sections re flamed.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Tonkin Wand
Dace

Post by Tonkin Wand » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi BB. I liked your optomissom . Good luck . I welcome anything with teeth and torpedo shaped for I have never landed a pike to date ! Tony

BoltonBullfinch
Rudd

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Tonkin Wand wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 pm
Hi BB. I liked your optomissom . Good luck . I welcome anything with teeth and torpedo shaped for I have never landed a pike to date ! Tony

Have you specifically fished for them tonkin?

Thanks
BB

Tonkin Wand
Dace

Post by Tonkin Wand » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi BB, Not as such played with spinners and dead bait but a long time ago. Limited to shore fishing only; me and anything aloat don't mix! Tony.

BoltonBullfinch
Rudd

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:44 am

I prefer the terra firma also Tony, never been one for a life on the ocean waves, or any waves for that matter.
There's a lot to be said for keeping one's feet on the ground. Hopefully before the end of this season I will have cast out a smelt or a mackerel tail on this old rod.

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Rudd

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:48 pm

I have stripped the rod down and removed anything that can be removed. The wood button, the guides, the reel hoops and the two conical end caps of the wood handle. The other thing that has been removed is the thick layer of dark varnish. This has also removed most of the mottling, some mottling still shows but what you can see is very faint. I have just removed 81 years worth of crud from one of the brass fittings, good old solvol autosol, never let's you down if you use a bit of elbow grease.
IMG_20191202_183338_resize_75.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BoltonBullfinch
Rudd

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:04 pm

IMG_20191204_182956.jpg
A new set of guides purchased from fleabay arrived today, they are still on the original Allcock card, I can't believe I found these new old guides for the Water Wolf. The brass bits off the rod have been cleaned up and polished. Next job now all the varnish has been removed is to sort out the wood handle, it's wider at the front half and the reel bands won't go forwards, it seems the reel would be fixed near to the rear of the handle, so I will have to sand or turn the front half of the handle to make it all the same diameter, except for a nice neat bulge at the front of the handle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonkin Wand
Dace

Re: Allcock water Wolf restoration....

Post by Tonkin Wand » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi BB. Looking in an unrelated quest in an ALLCOCKS CATALOG dated 1950. I found the following ." PIKE AND COMBINATION RODS....A240 ...The Water Wolf, a three joint, mottled cane, lancewood top, balanced handle,snake rings, porcelain end ring, bronzed reel fittings..........10ft. 45/- each." Adds to the confusion a bit but explains the handle and rings.Possibly post war austerity ? Regards Tony

BoltonBullfinch
Rudd

Re: Allcock water Wolf restoration....

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Tonkin Wand wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:46 pm
Hi BB. Looking in an unrelated quest in an ALLCOCKS CATALOG dated 1950. I found the following ." PIKE AND COMBINATION RODS....A240 ...The Water Wolf, a three joint, mottled cane, lancewood top, balanced handle,snake rings, porcelain end ring, bronzed reel fittings..........10ft. 45/- each." Adds to the confusion a bit but explains the handle and rings.Possibly post war austerity ? Regards Tony
That looks spot on Tony, it sounds the same rod to me. A balanced handle must mean wood, because its heavier than Cork. So the tip section is lance wood, it's quite a light coloured wood now the dark varnish is off, I was thinking it was greenheart. I have been advised that it's probably not wise having the bottom two sections
re flamed as the cane could blow, and I wouldn't want that. So overall it looks like the rod could end up looking quite different than the rod I was very kindly gifted. But I suppose as long as it ends up on the bank being used that's the main thing. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

THANKS
BB

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”