Restoration help

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
PeteB
Stickleback

Restoration help

Post by PeteB »

I bought this cane rod from an auction site about three years ago and have now finally decided to restore it. It was described as an Italian cane rod but some of the logo is missing so I don't know what make it is?
I have restored the brass fereules so far as they were very loose, now I want to tackle the varnish which is very poor and thick any tips on this and is it possible to keep the logos or is it better to just take them off?
IMG_7652 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Man River
Brown Trout

Re: Restoration help

Post by Old Man River »

The logo looks very much like the rod is a “Marco Arun “ made by the Modern Arms Company ..... there is quite a lot of information on TFF re that particular Marco rod.. yours looks like it needs a bit of TLC, here is a thread to start you off....

viewtopic.php?f=310&t=33280

Good luck, if the blank is sound you should have a serviceable rod for Chub or Barbel from what I have read .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Silfield
Crucian Carp

Post by Silfield »

Pete B, that is a Marco Elasticane ' Arun' by the looks of it. From what I have read they are a nice rod and rather underrated. I have a 'Test' that is a favourite of mine.
I would try and save as much of the logo as possible but you will have to be careful around the logo. Gentle rubbing with fine wet and dry and a wipe over with white spirit may help get some of the old varnish off but it will be a bugger of a job if you intend to leave the original whipping in situ.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Take close up photos of the rod, handle, winding check, whippings, eyes, ferrules etc. Then put several layers of cling film over the labels and tape the ends with insulating tape which peels off easily without damage. Then strip everything off the cane with nitromorse using white spirit to clean it off.

I've recently used nail varnish remover and cotton buds to remove varnish from on top of a transfer, it's essential not to rush anything :-)

PeteB
Stickleback

Post by PeteB »

Thank you all for the help & information, very informative.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”