Boys reel

The Nottingham Reels forum.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Boys reel

Post by StefanDuma »

Following on from this mornings post please see an example of a boys reel, 2.5 inch diameter MADE IN ENGLAND stamp (Milwards) single handle one piece construction, brass foot and back (one piece) and an iron spindle.
boysreel.jpg
boysreel1.jpg
boys2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Boys reel

Post by StefanDuma »

boys2.jpg
boysreel1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

StefanDuma wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am Following on from this mornings post please see an example of a boys reel, 2.5 inch diameter MADE IN ENGLAND stamp (Milwards) single handle one piece construction, brass foot and back (one piece) and an iron spindle.

boysreel.jpg

boysreel1.jpg

boys2.jpg
Thank you Stefan, I was told that my reel was a 'boy's' reel and I assumed that because of it's small size ( a little over two and a quarter inches) that this is what it was. I am happy to be told differently, It is always good to learn more about these older wooden reels. I visited my friend John Nightingale ( TFF Fredline ) this morning, he has your book and we looked at page 22 but could not define what "chamfered" edge that you mentioned?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Boys reel? Mans reel? Teds reel has 2 handles and it turns beautifully as any reel should, but some not always, particularly in the wooden reel stable. It stores line and is used to retrieve line. It is because of the size that they have generically been attached the name of "boys reels"? I will wager they where not sold as "boys reels" and this is just a much later title added because of the size. Do the number of handles make a difference?
So many questions for such a small but wonderfully tactile item.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Boys reels from the turn of the 20th century are as per the images and are listed in Allcocks catalogue of 1898 as Model 409 BOYS WOOD REEL.
boysallcock.jpg

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I think my questions have been answered. Humble pie on standby.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

No need for humble pie if we knew everything that there was to know we would be either

a Google

b God.

Hopefully I will learn something new every day.

Stef

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

StefanDuma wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:39 pm Boys reels from the turn of the 20th century are as per the images and are listed in Allcocks catalogue of 1898 as Model 409 BOYS WOOD REEL.

boysallcock.jpg
Thanks for clarifying Stef, can I assume that my reel (and Pauls) are from the 1890's?

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

In my humble opinion yes.

Stef

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thank you Stef, that is good enough for me! I recall showing you a lovely reel with a solid wooden drum and alloy back plate, but I honestly cannot remember if you thought it was from the Slater stable or not, will you be going to Romsey?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Nottingham Reels”