Roach Reflections

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
OldRod
Grayling

Re: Roach Reflections

Post by OldRod »

Troydog wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:33 pm I hear what you say about the pole Catfish.017 and I watch some of the local roach experts, and the top match men; they undoubtedly perform at a level much higher than I can achieve with a 15 foot float rod and an 11 foot wand, both made incidentally, by a Mr Drennan.
However, I am 71 tomorrow, and it does not feel like the right time to be investing in a whole lot of new kit.
Shazza wouldnt mind one bit if I asked for a grand or so to indulge my hobby, but I wouldn't be able to live with it. I bought a pole fishing book by Bob Nudd and I can see all the advantages. Mark Everard even votes for poles in his major work on roach. I cannot recall DaceAces views on the subject, but I may have just missed it.
Four and a half metres on tonight and its still rising.....
Our views coincide Troydog. I am 74 soon, and like you, can see the pole men’s success, but apart from anything else, I don’t have the space, never mind the inclination, for a whole new set of stuff!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The latest video in the series:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I understand OldRod. I just like to keep things simple these days. Ive used the same two rods all Autumn and Winter but I have really enjoyed fishing on the river and catching a few as well....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I've just put up my latest Roach Reflections video which is Part 26 and about exploring unknown swims/areas:

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Following on from Roach Reflections Part 26, here a video of what happened when I fished some new swims:

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

When you do your underhand flick/cast what are you holding Mark? the last shot? Or an inch or so above the hook?

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Mark99 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:16 am When you do your underhand flick/cast what are you holding Mark? the last shot? Or an inch or so above the hook?
The line just above the hook (I think; such an ingrained habit).

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some nice roach popping up there!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

On your latest, new swims video Mark, I note that your ground bait of Gros Gardons and brown crumb, is fished with plain white bread on the hook. Do you think that there could be some advantage in dipping the bait in a solution of the ground bait please?
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Troydog wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:30 pm On your latest, new swims video Mark, I note that your ground bait of Gros Gardons and brown crumb, is fished with plain white bread on the hook. Do you think that there could be some advantage in dipping the bait in a solution of the ground bait please?
The bread I'm using for bait is usually in the groundbait bowl and tends to pick up groundbait on it so it tend to become infused with the smells of the groundbait. If the bait bread were dipped in a solution it would become too soggy and unusable.

Return to “Fishing Films”