Anglers Corner Chub.

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Fredline
Tench

Anglers Corner Chub.

Post by Fredline »

If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Anglers Corner Chub.

Post by Duckett »

Thanks John. Nice to relax watching that after a day working.

For a game angler of his generations, Lesley Brewer’s views on coarse fishing where very refreshing. Rather reminded me of Jack Hargreaves idea that a good angler should be a generalist!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Great insight into how it was done, using the rod left handed, winding the reel with right hand looks rather awkward :Confused:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Paul F wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:15 pm Great insight into how it was done, using the rod left handed, winding the reel with right hand looks rather awkward :Confused:
I agree with you Paul, it does look awkward, I also kept thinking that the cigarette might come into contact with the line, oops! :Hahaha:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I love these old films, they look so cheesy but have a magic quality to them.

Anybody else spot the rod reflecting on the glass on the 'underwater' shots? :Wink:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:59 am I love these old films, they look so cheesy but have a magic quality to them.

Anybody else spot the rod reflecting on the glass on the 'underwater' shots? :Wink:
I missed that! However, the thing that probably seems strangest to modern eyes and ears is that the sound on the river clips was clearly added post filming. The water noise is all wrong and if that was a screaming Aerial ratchet, I’ll eat one of my tweed caps!

The interview at the end was clearly filmed in two parts in different places and then spliced. I recently saw something similar between Edgar Lustgarten and a retired judge in the Scotland Yard series from the same period.

A professional cameraman friend of mine reckons I missed my vocation - continuity!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Duckett wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:59 am I love these old films, they look so cheesy but have a magic quality to them.

I missed that! However, the thing that probably seems strangest to modern eyes and ears is that the sound on the river clips was clearly added post filming. The water noise is all wrong and if that was a screaming Aerial ratchet, I’ll eat one of my tweed caps!

The interview at the end was clearly filmed in two parts in different places and then spliced. I recently saw something similar between Edgar Lustgarten and a retired judge in the Scotland Yard series from the same period.

A professional cameraman friend of mine reckons I missed my vocation - continuity!

Phil

I'm certain a film like that would have required just one cameraman who had to film from both sides of the river as well as in front and behind the angler - not to mention the float through the trees bit. It must have been a long day so it's no wonder they only seem to catch one fish on most of these films.

"Oh yes, nearer four I expect". That'll be a good two then :Chuckle:

The interview was from early TV days and transparent to our more sophisticated brains but, countless interviews, particularly on local TV news, are filmed with one cameraman and the 'nodding along to replies and the questions posed' are filled in afterwards. Very often something in the filmed replies are used to make the interviewer sound intelligent and inciteful. I've watched it being done :Wink:

But it conjures up the magic of fishing and that's good enough for me. I used to see these on Westward TV which, on our TV of the time, was just a silvery squiggle with a few outlines in it most of the time. There's a bream and a tench one in the series and, I believe, one that contains the first ever barbel capture to be filmed. Classic stuff.

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

That was enjoyable Fredline.
Hmm, I wonder, are they available on DVD?

Dom. :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:34 pm
Duckett wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 pm

Phil

I'm certain a film like that would have required just one cameraman who had to film from both sides of the river as well as in front and behind the angler - not to mention the float through the trees bit. It must have been a long day so it's no wonder they only seem to catch one fish on most of these films.

"Oh yes, nearer four I expect". That'll be a good two then :Chuckle:

The interview was from early TV days and transparent to our more sophisticated brains but, countless interviews, particularly on local TV news, are filmed with one cameraman and the 'nodding along to replies and the questions posed' are filled in afterwards. Very often something in the filmed replies are used to make the interviewer sound intelligent and inciteful. I've watched it being done :Wink:

But it conjures up the magic of fishing and that's good enough for me. I used to see these on Westward TV which, on our TV of the time, was just a silvery squiggle with a few outlines in it most of the time. There's a bream and a tench one in the series and, I believe, one that contains the first ever barbel capture to be filmed. Classic stuff.
Heehee! Yes indeed! Over the years I’ve dealt with hundreds of news and documentary film crews from all over the world and in various capacities. Until the early 2000s, interviewer, camera, lighting, sounds and director where the norm. Though my record is held by the children’s channel Nickelodeon making a documentary. That also included researcher, script editor and people moving the kit around and each employee had a teenager shadowing them - 16 in total if I recall! Now, like my friend, one person does camera, lighting and sound, sometimes even the interviewing. Strange thing is, radio was always like that but now that is always “down the line” on the phone.

The interesting thing is, a lot of interviews still get filmed by people like my friend because the news providers want editorial control of content. So, he still gets paid to film news conferences and other things. I doubt that decent journalists and documentary makers will ever want to give up seeing the whites of the interviewees eyes and their physical reactions to questions and answers.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to any other films that John is kind enough to post. There’s a lot to learn from them potentially.

Phil

Return to “Fishing Films”