Sirram Volcano Kettle

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Sirram Volcano Kettle

Post by Woodytia »

A recent buy for not very much which was advertised as best used to grow plants in! As far as I'm concerned the only plants going in will be the parts that will burn in the fire pan. A little bit of research suggests it is an older version almost certainly made in Birmingham. The kettle has a very slight leak but I used it without issue if anything it burned better than my more modern Kelly Kettle, it needs a little fettling to sort out some of the major dents and surface corrosion but I'm happy to of got hold of a little bit of history that can still be used, I'm always amazed at how little fuel is needed to boil a kettle full of water so quickly. I never new that some of these kettles were supplied with an extra conical flask to increase the amount of water you can carry in the kettle and can't help thinking that a modern version of this would be a useful addition to the kettles you can buy today.

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Sirram Volcano Kettle

Post by Pallenpool »

Superb - you did well to find that - I have not seen many at all - my grandfather had one - issued by the Army for his time doing whatever he did. They heat exceptionally fast as you say - the extra conical flask I have not seen before - so that’s a first for me :Thumb: the flasks do not hold much water really but would have been handy if one chanced upon a fresh supply of water I think the extra flask fits inside the kettle for ease of transportation - I suppose and dependent on circumstances could still be useful today - but invariably I always carry a 5 Litre bottle of top up water (left in the wagon) just in case the session goes swimmingly well. Perhaps you could post the fettling and finished result I would look forward to it.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good find with that interesting internal flask :Sun: I've recently bought a modern Ghillie Kettle made in the UK with a hard anodised finish. It's excellent :Thumb: It replaced an Irish volcano that belonged to my great uncle. These days Kellys are made in China :Thumbsdown::

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Nice find! and that flask is amazing. maybe some craftsman on the forum can replicate one....

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have a smaller version of the Kelly, and have discovered that a standard plastic modern " Coca Cola type "bottle sits very comfortably inside the Kelly, fill it with water, and wrap it in a sheet of newspaper to stop the black gunk from inside getting all over the bottle, and you then have about twice the water volune that you normally have, plus some paper to light your sticks with .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

A "period" find indeed. The tea always tastes better out of doors with a blend of wood smoke! :tea: Before you go tin bashing speak to someone who has had experience with ally, it easily cracks...... Tony

Joe Croesor
Minnow

Post by Joe Croesor »

My dad always talked about selling the full set at Benjamin Edgingtons on the Strand in the early 60's
He bought a Irish made one in the 90's and I use it to this day

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Interesting. The best I've seen was in the workshop of an old tea planter from Kenya, who had retired to England. It, too, was called 'The Volcano' and it was covered in beautiful engravings. Like your recent find, it had the extra water cylinder. I was too polite to ask whether I might be able to buy it. If I'd been brash enough to ask, I suspect he'd have given it to me. I'm sorry I didn't ask, but glad I was sufficiently lacking in brashness. That was thirty years ago. For some no-good reason, I had the impression the kettle had been made in India.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”