The appropriate tool for repairing a rod bag

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

The appropriate tool for repairing a rod bag

Post by Duckett »

This evening, I set myself the modest task of repairing the hanging loop on the rod bag of my Milwards Services rod.

Now, two lessons my grandfather drilled into me were that any man ought to be able to cook and perform basic repair stitching. As a result, when I first flew the nest some 40 years ago, his daughter, my mother sent me on my way with a huge sewing kit. So huge that I’ve not yet had to purchase pins, safety pins, thread, thimble or needles.

It is needles of which I wish to speak here. For an ageing and thinning early 1950s cotton rod bag, I decided I needed a very fine needle. My search led me to the very bottom of the sewing kit for the first time in over a decade. This is what I found ...........

Perfect! They may even be older than the rod and bag. Several of the Milwards needles were fine enough for the job, which is now done. Mind you, whilst I can sew on a button, I could never manage a neat straight line but it will suffice!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: The appropriate tool for repairing a rod bag

Post by Nobby »

I too still have a sewing kit assembled by my Mother 46 years ago!

I can even do buttonholes....after a fashion......

Another chap on another forum once wrote that Milwards needles were always taken on any fishing expedition to India, where the gift of a packet to a fellow's wife guaranteed the best porters and cooking.....

Duckett
Tench

Re: The appropriate tool for repairing a rod bag

Post by Duckett »

If memory serves, my Mum was told to only buy Milwards needles by a Matron when she went off to train as a nurse in early 1950s. Back then, they had to wear their uniform almost everywhere and keep it in good repair. For all I know, that could be the packet she bough!

Kudos for managing button holes. I have tried to repair them without success. My button sewing lasts though!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”